Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Microsoft researching Windows replacement?

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Microsoft researching Windows replacement?

Microsoft Research is actually pretty innovative when it comes to new things like this. The problem is that Microsoft is too huge and has too many divergent interests to let something like this take off in a big way. They could write a better kernel that linux, but it'll never see the light of day outside the lab. Such huge ecosystems have built up around existing operating systems that it's essentially impossible to replace them.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Actually, I think it would be interesting to see what they do with this. I am going to look forward to trying out this new OS >_> Then crash it to the ground harder than meteor!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

The problem I see with an internet based OS, is that if all the libraries are on the internet, how does one acquire the library to connect to the internet, since said library is required to connect? It's a logical paradox.
    Lucid Beta 2 powered Studio 15 (Core 2 Duo 2.0GHz, 3 GB RAM, HD 3450) & Windows XP powered Scaleo E (Celeron D 3.06GHz, 1.5GB RAM, Intel GMA 915G). Please see Ubuntu Tutorials (my YouTube channel).

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I do find it amusing how people on here are labelling this as desperate. Lets not forget, Microsoft can pump endless amounts of money into researching and marketing new products.

And, even if it does slip, Linux is a LONG way away from being in any sort of position to "take over".
    Don't eat yellow snow

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Thumbs down Re: Microsoft researching Windows replacement?

Quote Originally Posted by tom66 View Post
    The problem I see with an internet based OS, is that if all the libraries are on the internet, how does one acquire the library to connect to the internet, since said library is required to connect? It's a logical paradox.
    Another problem I see is you are even more at their mercy than you are now.
    They can basically hold all your data hostage if they wish.
    This will just give them even more control...Nope,don't like it.
    A friendly & helpful Linux community who has started a large cursor theme project. If you are sick of tiny cursors, go here and get one.
    http://linuxinternationals.org/forum...orum.php?f=166

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by Alasdair View Post
    Microsoft Research is actually pretty innovative when it comes to new things like this. The problem is that Microsoft is too huge and has too many divergent interests to let something like this take off in a big way. They could write a better kernel that linux, but it'll never see the light of day outside the lab. Such huge ecosystems have built up around existing operating systems that it's essentially impossible to replace them.
    Name 10 applications or processes that have come directly from Microsoft Research Labs. Directly mind you, not bought into the labs! Microsoft's skill is buying in software and systems. The reason the desktop market has been stagnent for many years is the lack of choice and lack of direct innovation.

I just don't buy this idea that a large corporation is be default sluggish in it's approach to innovation.
    Last edited by fatality_uk; August 4th, 2008 at 09:39 PM.
    Want an alternative to 99% of Windows applications?
    http://www.osalt.com/

"Dude, real programmers compile" - Plato 428BC

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I believe I read that even Surface was purchased technology. MS just marketed it. It's sad to say but MS hasn't really innovated anything in a long time, if they ever have. They seem to have great skills at purchasing stuff and then integrating it with their other purchases.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Quote Originally Posted by wrtpeeps View Post
    I do find it amusing how people on here are labelling this as desperate. Lets not forget, Microsoft can pump endless amounts of money into researching and marketing new products.

And, even if it does slip, Linux is a LONG way away from being in any sort of position to "take over".
    money, marketing and research are not the only thing that make a good OS. in face you dont need money nor marketing to make an OS. money would help the research but the marketing cant build you a better OS, only sell it. but the research itself is useless if misguided, or in incapable hands.

take a look at vista and think how much money and research they out into that, but it didnt help them then. i dont hope for microsofts failure, i just dont see this working for microsoft. oh, and by the way, microsoft has had many projects that ended up failing, despite the money and research.
    just my opinion.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

i could see them playing the apple card and doing something like spin off a vista GUIed BSD based system.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

If they want to build a new operating system to take over from Windows, then good on them. Their current users won't tolerate any differences from Windows and will complain until kingdom come about the new operating system.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast