Thread: 4GB of swap necessary now?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

4GB of swap necessary now?

After my recent upgrade, I run Kubuntu Gutsy on Core2Duo E8200 with 2GB of RAM. When I installed it a few months ago, I created a 4GB swap for good measure. However I want some more space for other partitions and am not ready for another hard disk, so I want to know if I can bring down the swap size to maybe 1GB or so.

With 2GB of physical memory inside, my swap isn't being used at all, as I can see from 'free'. So isnt it safe to limit my swap to 1GB?

One more thing.. is there a way to save the list of extra packages I have installed(after installing the OS), so that I can easily install them again after a clean install?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Talking Re: 4GB of swap necessary now?

2GB of swap should be fine.

Have a look at RemasterSys for making a custom install CD/DVD.

Here's a link:

http://www.remastersys.klikit-linux.com

Regards,
    Roger
    There are only two things in life that are mandatory.
    Birth and Death.
    Everything else is optional.
    Ubuntu User #10495

Re: 4GB of swap necessary now?

With 2GB of physical memory inside, my swap isn't being used at all, as I can see from 'free'. So isnt it safe to limit my swap to 1GB?
    1 GB is all that is needed. If you want with 4 GB ram, you don't have to have a swap partition at all.
    Learning is not attained by chance, it must be sought for with ardor and attended to with diligence. Abigail Adams ( 1744 - 1818 ), 1780;

My blog Poetry and More Free Ubuntu Magazine

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

If you don't hibernate then you could likely drop your swap to very little - unless you are going to be using memory intensive apps in the future. With 1.2Gb Ram and 1Gb swap the only time I use swap is if I'm using a virtual machine.

Beans

with 2 gb of ram swaps hardly takes place(unless you are running a very heavy graphics application)..you can reduce the swap space from ubuntu live cd