Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: [SOLVED] I always have to run code for rEFIt to work: any workaround?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: I always have to run code for rEFIt to work: any workaround?

I'm having trouble with the manual install of rEFIt. It says to copy the efi folder to the root level on your Mac OS X volume.

So, I'm clicking 'Go' at the upper task bar, choosing 'Computer', and double-clicking on my Mac hard drive Icon. Then I'm pasting the efi folder there.

That should do it, but then I run this code like the instructions say:
    Code:
    cd /efi/refit./enable.sh
    And I get returned "No file or directory". The instructions on the rEFIt site say that that return means I've got the efi folder in the wrong place.

I've tried other places to make sure and I always get the same return.

I appreciate any help on this,...

Many Thanks, Frank B.
    Last edited by Brightbelt; August 6th, 2008 at 05:27 PM. Reason: typo

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Brightbelt View Post
    Pxw, what does this mean?

Does that mean in coming out of sleep that the machine will automatically reboot to the rEFIt page?

How would the rEFIt menu "Show up" when OS X comes out of sleep? I don't quite get it.

Many Thanks, Frank B.
    It is talking about safe sleep (read hibernate) as opposed to sleep (read suspend). The first writes session info to disk and turns off the machine, then second stores information in RAM, and turns off uneeded devices (but keeps RAM powered). Hibernate is good if you need to move your iMac, suspend is good if you are just going to be away from the computer for awhile.

However, for hibernation to work, the startup sequence is mostly like a normal boot except that the kernel (the OSX kernel in this case) detect the saved session info and loads it up. The refitBlesser prevents the refit screen from displaying after hibernation so that it guarantees that OSX is chosen to boot up. What it is trying to say is that if you hibernate, then turn the machine on, then boot into something besides OS X, your saved data could be damaged... So not having refitblesser is OK as long as you remember to boot into OSX after safe sleep.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Code:
    cd /efi/refit./enable.sh
    should be two commands:

Code:
    cd /efi/refit
    changes to the refit directory...then
    Code:
    ./enable.sh
    actually runs the script

You could also just run the script from wherever you are like most people would:
    Code:
    /efi/refit/enable.sh

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Thanks for the clarity Cyber. Why I didn't realize that was 2 lines of code is beyond me.

I guess the way they list it with the period starting the second line of code keeps it from looking aligned like 2 separate lines. Duh.

I got it done and it works. One more question if I might though:

Doesn't Hibernation oftentimes happen spontaneously while you're away and the computer shuts down on its own? (I may be thinking more of a PC scenario there)

If so, it'd be easy to boot up and forget that the computer might be in hibernation, but I could have this all wrong.

Many Thanks, Frank B.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Brightbelt View Post
    Doesn't Hibernation oftentimes happen spontaneously while you're away and the computer shuts down on its own? (I may be thinking more of a PC scenario there)

If so, it'd be easy to boot up and forget that the computer might be in hibernation, but I could have this all wrong.
    That is not at all impossible, but if it is functioning that way, you can rectify this behavior in your power settings (on both OS X and Ubuntu).

Beans

Many thanks guys !

i removed rEFItblesser from /library/startupitems/refitblesser

did "/efi/refit/enable.sh" on the terminal and now it works

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12