Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Garage PC (Pentium 133 MHz)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

My Garage PC (Pentium 133 MHz)

I've mentioned my Garage computer a few times in the past, but now I have pics! Here's the specs:

Pentium 133 MHz
    1.7G hard drive
    128M RAM
    3 internal DVD-ROMs, 1 external DVD-ROM
    USB 2.0
    Running Damn Small Linux

The sole purpose of this machine is to play music. There's 2845 MP3s on this machine. It can play for over a week without playing the same song twice!

I have more pics on my blog, along with descriptions of all the mods and hacks I've done to it (includes the playlist!): http://classicalgasemissions.blogspot.com
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

Re: My Garage PC (Pentium 133 MHz)

Nice! Glad to know people are still putting their dinosaurs to good use instead of sending them to the junkyard.
    There is no system but GNU and Linux is one of its kernels.
    Join the FSF as an Associate Member!

Beans

kmandla would be proud
    hp dv6395 ea 2gb ram core 2 duo 2.00 Ghz archlinux User | Arch rocks! | Submit Bug Reports! https://launchpad.net/ubuntu | Include detail in your thread titles!

Beans

Cool!

BTW, why do you consider DSL 3.4 better than the later releases?

Beans

I want that so badly.
    DRUG FREE FOR LIFE

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by mikjp View Post
    Cool!

BTW, why do you consider DSL 3.4 better than the later releases?
    I've found version 4 to be quite user-unfriendly. The mount tool is no longer included. Instead, you're supposed to use EmelFM to mount the drives, and I've found the included version (or setup) of EmelFM to be unfriendly as well. I'm also not very fond of JWM being the default window manager. I'm much happier with Fluxbox.

If I want DSL 4 to work for me, I'd have to make a lot of changes. DSL 3 seems to be very straight-forward and user-friendly, well at least for me. Why change something that works?
    What do tone deaf singers, floppy drive music, and an old woman dreaming about mashed rodents have in common? They're all on my blog! CHECK IT OUT

Beans

OK, thanks.

Have you considered feeding the mp3's over WLAN or wired ethernet to the garage? So you could get rid of the DVDs and would not need e.g. usb memory sticks to replace them.

Greetings,

Mikko

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Have you considered feeding the mp3's over WLAN or wired ethernet to the garage?
    I've definately thought about it and may eventually go that route. As it stands right now, there is no network connection in the garage and I don't have a wireless card.

I've played the MP3s over wireless on my laptop (running Win98 ). It seems a bit chunky and crashes quite often, but that may be a Windows problem.

The physical media seems nice and reliable for now, and it puts old hardware to good use

When I wire up internet to the garage, I'll give the network option a try and see how it goes.
    What do tone deaf singers, floppy drive music, and an old woman dreaming about mashed rodents have in common? They're all on my blog! CHECK IT OUT

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Great job!

I thought I was the only one who put a Linux box in the garage to play music.

Although, your project is much more ambitious than mine ever was. I started off with a Celeron 466 with 256 MB paired with Xubuntu 7.04. I got 100 feet of cable and wired my garage for internet through the attic (this allows Streamtuner in addition to local music).

Currently, through a computer upgrade to my main system, I had extra parts become available, which allowed me to replace the Celeron 466 with a much more modern rig. Currently it's running Ubuntu 8.4.1 with an AthlonXP 1.8 Ghz and 1 GB RAM. The Celeron has become my 4 year old's first "real" computer (which he hardly ever uses, just for receiving emails from his dad at work, or playing on Tux Paint).

Enjoy!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Bungo Pony View Post
    It can play for over a week without playing the same song twice!

[/url]
    mine can play for over 4 months without repeating a song.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast