Thread: [SOLVED] gconf error after update or hard drive full?

Beans

[SOLVED] gconf error after update or hard drive full?

Ok,
    So I ran update manager, it installed 33 updates, all went well until I got this:
    Code:
    Setting up ufw (0.16.2.3) ...
    /usr/bin/ucf: line 181: cannot create temp file for here document: No space left on device
    dpkg: error processing ufw (--configure):
     subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 1
    Errors were encountered while processing:
     ufw
    E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
    Now when i try to run synaptic I get this:
    Code:
    therapy@BOB:~$ gksudo synaptic
    GConf Error: Failed to contact configuration server; some possible causes are that you need to enable TCP/IP networking for ORBit, or you have stale NFS locks due to a system crash. See http://www.gnome.org/projects/gconf/ for information. (Details -  1: IOR file '/tmp/gconfd-therapy/lock/ior' not opened successfully, no gconfd located: No such file or directory 2: IOR file '/tmp/gconfd-therapy/lock/ior' not opened successfully, no gconfd located: No such file or directory)
    GConf Error: Failed to contact configuration server; some possible causes are that you need to enable TCP/IP networking for ORBit, or you have stale NFS locks due to a system crash. See http://www.gnome.org/projects/gconf/ for information. (Details -  1: IOR file '/tmp/gconfd-therapy/lock/ior' not opened successfully, no gconfd located: No such file or directory 2: IOR file '/tmp/gconfd-therapy/lock/ior' not opened successfully, no gconfd located: No such file or directory)

(gksudo:6802): GConf-CRITICAL **: gconf_value_free: assertion `value != NULL' failed
    Error copying '/home/therapy/.Xauthority' to '/tmp/libgksu-40sv1n': No space lef

My hard disk reports that it has no free space,
    I have two partitions:
    20Gb /
    300Gb /home

Whether or not my 20Gb is actually full or whether its a prob with gconf, I have no idea and am unsure of where to begin...

So heres hoping someone can help?

Beans

Re: gconf error after update or hard drive full?

Open up a terminal window and post the output of:

df -h

(disk file usage...I always think of it as "disk free") the -h switch just makes the output easier for humans to understand.

Beans

Code:
    Filesystem            Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
    /dev/sdb1              18G   18G     0 100% /
    varrun                378M  252K  378M   1% /var/run
    varlock               378M     0  378M   0% /var/lock
    udev                  378M   40K  378M   1% /dev
    devshm                378M     0  378M   0% /dev/shm
    lrm                   378M   39M  339M  11% /lib/modules/2.6.24-19-generic/volatile
    /dev/sdb3             278G  111G  154G  42% /home
    overflow              1.0M  1.0M     0 100% /tmp
    Right, so that's pretty straightforward... full disk

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by waydownsouth View Post
    Code:
    Filesystem            Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
    /dev/sdb1              18G   18G     0 100% /
    varrun                378M  252K  378M   1% /var/run
    varlock               378M     0  378M   0% /var/lock
    udev                  378M   40K  378M   1% /dev
    devshm                378M     0  378M   0% /dev/shm
    lrm                   378M   39M  339M  11% /lib/modules/2.6.24-19-generic/volatile
    /dev/sdb3             278G  111G  154G  42% /home
    overflow              1.0M  1.0M     0 100% /tmp
    Right, so that's pretty straightforward... full disk

Yup, that's a full root partition! I've done this before, so you're not alone. The good news is it's easy to fix! You will just need to burn yourself a "Gparted" CD, boot into that, and add some space do your /dev/sdb1 partition by taking space from your /dev/sdb3 (home) partition...looks like you have 154 Gig to spare there, so add another 20 Gig to your root and you should be in great shape.

Beans

Waydownsouth,

Also, you may want to look into what's consuming all the space on your root partition...I've been running Ubuntu Hardy for a while now with all the upgrades, and adding software like crazy, and haven't hit 18 gig...so I have a feeling you have some music or videos or something big getting stored on your root rather than your /home partition.

Try this: go to your root directory (cd /) then type: du -h --max-depth=1

This command is: Disk Usage; the -h provides a "human" output (like df) and the max-depth=1 just tells the program to give us the 30,000 foot view of your file system...which directory from root is eating the most space? You can then cd into that directory, and run the same command, and see what sub-directory is eating space...etc. etc.

Beans

I found my problem, I use an external drive for backup, and at one point last week I took the drive away to copy some files from a friends machine.

When I replugged the drive it can't have mounted properly and instead of sbackup saving to /media/my_external_drive it did a full backup to /media which is where I found a 12Gb tar of backed up files...

My bad

Thanks for steering me in the right direction.

root is at a much better size now: 3Gb

Beans

No worries man! Hit me up with a "Thanks" if you don't mind...and don't forget to change this thread to "Solved".

Beans

ok I have the same error and no full disks I even get the error when trying to do any gediting.

Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
    /dev/sda1 33G 3.3G 28G 11% /
    tmpfs 1008M 0 1008M 0% /lib/init/rw
    varrun 1008M 108K 1008M 1% /var/run
    varlock 1008M 0 1008M 0% /var/lock
    udev 1008M 2.9M 1005M 1% /dev
    tmpfs 1008M 48K 1008M 1% /dev/shm
    lrm 1008M 2.0M 1006M 1% /lib/modules/2.6.27-7-generic/volatile
    /dev/sdb1 117G 47G 71G 40% /media/Temp
    /dev/sdb2 117G 265M 117G 1% /media/Projects
    /dev/sdd1 150G 16G 134G 11% /media/Storage
    /dev/sdc1 75G 13G 63G 17% /media/Data

Beans

I get the error when say using gedit /etc/fstab as root but if I use gedit as my regular user, no error. This error is after going to clean install og Ubuntu 8.10 from the final version cd
    Last edited by n3rxs; November 2nd, 2008 at 03:35 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by n3rxs View Post
    I get the error when say using gedit /etc/fstab as root but if I use gedit as my regular user, no error. This error is after going to clean install og Ubuntu 8.10 from the final version cd
    Same issue on my Gentoo box. Though it doesn't seem to affect functionality.....