Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mac wont let me dualboot?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Mac wont let me dualboot?

Well for some reason your GPT is gone, you only have a legacy partition table now. You do in fact have two linux partitions and a swap. The sda2 has an ext2 filesystem and is ~350MB, and sda4 is ext3 and is > 9GB. I don't know what you did to get into this situation, but I think your best option is to backup anything important in OSX and start with a fresh OS X install after completely erasing the disk first.

You can operate like it is now, but firmware updates will not go through anymore because you do not have an EFI partition. Try blessing refit (by running the enable.sh script) and hopefully rEFIt will function. If you still can't boot your Ubuntu partition from there, then you likely need to reinstall GRUB.

Beans

hello i was unable to dualboot even while holding the alt key on boot all that showed up was the mac installation so i installed rEFIt and rebooted and it still didnt work here is my partition info

*** Report for internal hard disk ***

Current GPT partition table:
    # Start LBA End LBA Type
    1 40 409639 EFI System (FAT)
    2 409640 283263015 Mac OS X HFS+
    3 283263016 386778641 Basic Data
    4 386778642 390720048 Linux Swap

Current MBR partition table:
    # A Start LBA End LBA Type
    1 1 390721967 ee EFI Protective

MBR contents:
    Boot Code: GRUB

Partition at LBA 40:
    Boot Code: None (Non-system disk message)
    File System: FAT32
    Listed in GPT as partition 1, type EFI System (FAT)

Partition at LBA 409640:
    Boot Code: None
    File System: HFS Extended (HFS+)
    Listed in GPT as partition 2, type Mac OS X HFS+

Partition at LBA 283263016:
    File System: ext3
    Listed in GPT as partition 3, type Basic Data

Partition at LBA 386778642:
    File System: Unknown
    Listed in GPT as partition 4, type Linux Swap

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Slinky.Weasel View Post
    hello i was unable to dualboot even while holding the alt key on boot all that showed up was the mac installation so i installed rEFIt and rebooted and it still didnt work here is my partition info
    you have to sync the partitions too... this is is in the partition tool in the refit menu at startup.

Beans

Ok did that and selected the linux install and it said no bootable device - insert system disk to continue. I inserted my linux disc and nothing happened for 3 minutes so I pressed some keys to see if that did anything and it didn't so i rebooted and reinstalled ubuntu and got the same problem.
    Last edited by Slinky.Weasel; August 6th, 2008 at 12:31 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Slinky.Weasel View Post
    Ok did that and selected the linux install and it said no bootable device - insert system disk to continue. I inserted my linux disc and nothing happened for 3 minutes so I pressed some keys to see if that did anything and it didn't so i rebooted and reinstalled ubuntu and got the same problem.
    the exact problem you are describing means that your partitions are not synced up.

Please do not come into an existing thread with a separate problem. This issue has been covered quite a bit in the forum, including a link in the FAQ.
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=767677

Beans

Okay, different problem: i boot OSX off of my backup drive, so i can partition my main drive, but Disk Utilities fails at partitioning, claiming "could not unmount disk".

I had no other apps or windows open, and i was booting off a different drive, what gives?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12