Thread: .dbus owned by root in home - breaks rsync

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Exclamation .dbus owned by root in home - breaks rsync

This was discussed a while back but the thread is closed since Hardy shipped. It was my understanding that all files in ./home/user belong to the user. But when I try to run rsync to make a regular backup of home, it stops and complains about .dbus permissions (which are root:root).

Run
    Code:
    ls -l -d .dbus
    in home and see for yourself. From the other thread, it appears some people don't have .dbus folders in there at all, while others are owned by the user -- but many are owned by root. Which is it supposed to be?
    David

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: .dbus owned by root in home - breaks rsync

Quote Originally Posted by david.rahrer View Post
    This was discussed a while back but the thread is closed since Hardy shipped. It was my understanding that all files in ./home/user belong to the user. But when I try to run rsync to make a regular backup of home, it stops and complains about .dbus permissions (which are root:root).

Run
    Code:
    ls -l -d .dbus
    in home and see for yourself. From the other thread, it appears some people don't have .dbus folders in there at all, while others are owned by the user -- but many are owned by root. Which is it supposed to be?
    if you run rsync with root permissions you won't have an issue. just put sudo in front of the command.
    Registered Linux User: 482377
    MacBook (1,1) - OS X Leopard
    ASUS P5LD2 - Core 2 Duo 3.0GHz - 2GB Corsair RAM - Nvidia 8800GT - Ubuntu 9.04 / Windows 7 Professional

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by DGortze380 View Post
    if you run rsync with root permissions you won't have an issue. just put sudo in front of the command.
    Thanks for your reply. I should have noted that this could make rsync work but I would still like to know why something in home is owned by root. Am I mistaken or isn't everything in home supposed to be owned by that user?
    David

Beans
    Distro

Thanks for your reply. I should have noted that this could make rsync work but I would still like to know why something in home is owned by root. Am I mistaken or isn't everything in home supposed to be owned by that user?
    not necessarily. I'm not familiar with the folder or what process it corresponds to, but it could be something like your users settings for a program that is run with root privileges. There are a number of reasons for the permissions to be that way.
    ASUS P5LD2 - Core 2 Duo 3.0GHz - 2GB Corsair RAM - Nvidia 8800GT - Ubuntu 9.04 / Windows 7 Professional

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by DGortze380 View Post
    not necessarily. I'm not familiar with the folder or what process it corresponds to, but it could be something like your users settings for a program that is run with root privileges. There are a number of reasons for the permissions to be that way.
    Ah, well that's interesting. I really thought a user's home directory was completely owned by that user.
    David

Beans
    Distro

Ah, well that's interesting. I really thought a user's home directory was completely owned by that user.
    nope, not always.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

I'm pretty sure everything in your home should be owned by you (my .dbus is mine. root should have no business in my home.).
    A program that is run with root privileges stores it's settings in /root.
    What happens if you change the ownership of .dbus?
    Code:
    sudo chown -R username:username .dbus
    Or just delete or rename the .dbus folder (it will be regenerated next time you log in to gnome).
    Last edited by jocko; August 4th, 2008 at 05:48 AM.