Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Installing Xubuntu from Floppy drive? -noCD -noNetwork -noUSB

Beans

Re: Installing Xubuntu from Floppy drive? -noCD -noNetwork -noUSB

Quote Originally Posted by grossaffe View Post
    Unfortunately I can't seem to get to the screen that says what all it has anymore. Ever since the last time I entered that screen its just been turning on, checking ram, telling me I have an invalid system disk. All I can tell you now is that it has 12160KB RAM.

The model is Toshiba T3400CT if you really want to look it up.

anyways, I finally found a way to install Damn Small Linux that works for a computer with:
    No CD
    no Network card
    no USB port

http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/wiki/i...%2C_Linux_Only)
    I have yet to try it out (60 friggin floppies!), but it should work.
    Wow, that is an old-timer! You might have to go even lighter than DSL on that one.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by snowpine View Post
    Wow, that is an old-timer! You might have to go even lighter than DSL on that one.
    really? Windows 95 used to run on here before I swapped hard-drives. Is DSL gonna be slower than Win95?

Beans

really? Windows 95 used to run on here before I swapped hard-drives. Is DSL gonna be slower than Win95?
    If I'm doing the math correctly, your computer has 12mb of ram... damnsmalllinux.org recommends a minimum of 16 (and xubuntu requires 128mb for a typical installation). Not saying it won't work (because I have never tried it) but ask yourself if it's worth 60 floppies to find out.

There are distros out there for really, really ancient computers (deli comes to mind)... poke around and you'll find some very informative threads here on the forums.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by snowpine View Post
    If I'm doing the math correctly, your computer has 12mb of ram... damnsmalllinux.org recommends a minimum of 16 (and xubuntu requires 128mb for a typical installation). Not saying it won't work (because I have never tried it) but ask yourself if it's worth 60 floppies to find out.

There are distros out there for really, really ancient computers (deli comes to mind)... poke around and you'll find some very informative threads here on the forums.
    Oh goodness, I didn't even bother to do the math. I was thinking it was near much higher in RAM. Don't know why since the hard-drive it came with was about 120MB (which I upgraded to 2 GB).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

OK guys, i've got a really old laptop here that not only lacks a CD drive, but it doesn't have a network adapter or a USB port. Basically the only way to put stuff on there is through floppy disk. Is there a way to install Xubuntu via floppy drive?
    A laptop that old would not even run Xubuntu. How old is this laptop? What is the processor? Memory?

Also Xubuntu is about 550MB which is ~380 floppies.

You could try removing the hard disk and install it via another PC and replace.
    Windows, only good for gaming.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Remember Windows 95 is over 13 years old so yes DSL is going to be more processor intensive.

The original Windows 95 ran on 8MB RAM with a 386 processor.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/138349

The latest Puppy is far more advanced.
    Windows, only good for gaming.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12