Thread: Intel Wireless Wifi Link 5100 on Hardy

Hybrid View

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Intel Wireless Wifi Link 5100 on Hardy

Hi dear community,

i´m currently trying to Ubuntu Hardy on an Acer Aspire 5930 Laptop.
    So far, everything worked out of the box, besides the wireless adapter that seems to be a Intel Wireless Wifi Link 5100.

Though it is not listed in the supported wireless devices, i´d like to know, if there is any way to get it working.

I already tried using the Xp driver with Ndiswrapper. It seemed to find the hardware and associated the driver with it, but though the only network interfaces showing up are eth0 and the loopback.

No sign of a wlan0 or wireless extensions showing up in iwconfig.

output of iwconfig
    Code:
    lo        no wireless extensions.
    eth0      no wireless extensions.
    output of lspci
    Code:
    03:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation Unknown device 4232
    output of ndiswrapper -l
    Code:
    netw5x32 : driver installed
     device (8086:4232) present

Anybody got an advice for me?
    I´m kind of clueless by now.

Thanks in advance

Rev.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Intel Wireless Wifi Link 5100 on Hardy

Hi Rev.

I'm having exactly the same problem and have posted also on the NDISwrapper forums.

Hopefully someone will find a solution soon!

Cheers,
    Dave

Edit: My laptop model# to help searchers, ASUS M51VA-AS045G
    Last edited by davedave; August 6th, 2008 at 12:01 AM.

Beans

I have the exact same output as the OP, and the same wireless card, but on an Asus f8va-c1.

I'm loading the 'netw5x64' windows driver, and ndiswrapper says it's installed, and with the same 'device ... present' message as the OP.

But I don't know how to make 'wlan0' a real interface. Right now 'ifup wlan0' says 'ignoring unknown interface wlan0'.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Well, i acatually gave up on this topic or now.

According to Heise.de, the new 2.6.26 Kernel will include drivers that support the Intel Wifi Link 5000 series.

I guess, we just have to be patient, as i wont compile a new kernel just for this.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

I managed to install the drivers via ndiswrapper and it installs the drivers and found the hardware, but when i want to configure the network i get an error:
    (network-admin:6228): Gtk-WARNING **: Unknown property: GtkComboBox.items

** (network-admin:6228): CRITICAL **: Unable to lookup session information for process '6228'

and ps aux gives me
    root 6228 0.0 0.4 163376 18816 pts/0 S+ 13:59 0:00 network-admin

i used these drivers
    Wireless_Intel shirely peak_v12.0.0.73
    they were for 64bit vista

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by superstas View Post
    i used these drivers
    Wireless_Intel shirely peak_v12.0.0.73
    they were for 64bit vista
    Thanks for the info. Where did you find these drivers? I found them at this link, but couldn't download them. Maybe because of traffic. 200+MB for drivers seems a bit excessive, doesn't it?

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/win/160272

Any other help, including any info on the drivers included in the 2.6.26 kernel would be appreciated.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Revage View Post
    Well, i acatually gave up on this topic or now.

According to Heise.de, the new 2.6.26 Kernel will include drivers that support the Intel Wifi Link 5000 series.

I guess, we just have to be patient, as i wont compile a new kernel just for this.
    I rolled my own 2.6.26 kernel and I can confirm that using the ndiswrapper and windows driver still do not work.

In hindsight, I should have looked through the kernel configuration for a native linux driver (which is probably what you are talking about). So I might give it another go in the near future.

Cheers,
    Dave

Beans

Hey

I just got the iwl5100 working on kernel 2.6.27-rc2. But you have to enable it in the config of the kernel before you build. And also remeber to select the intel hd sound (think you have to select ALSA in order to have it show up).

You also need to have the firmware in the /lib/firmware/ directory. You can get the firmware from http://intellinuxwireless.org/?n=Downloads, and it is the iwlwifi-5000-ucode that is for the 5000 series.

After my first reboot after the kernel compile, I entered my wifi settings and it didn't work (could access the router, but not any webpages). But after rebooting once more after that it worked (why, I have no idea).

Only problem now is that I can't seem to get the nvidia 9600m gt to work with nvidia drivers.