Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Intel Wireless Wifi Link 5100 on Hardy

Beans

Re: Intel Wireless Wifi Link 5100 on Hardy

Does this means that if i upgrade to ubuntu 8.10 will solve this problem... 14 more days faster faster...!!! what the sound problem....

I have a working 5100 card on a Thinkpad R400 under 8.10 beta.

Beans

Hello guys, i am using Mint, but since this is (I think) based on Ubuntu, i guess that things should not be so different.

I did exactly what theburningor (page 7) said to, though I had to use the 9th september version of the compat that so gently, ModestRain included on his post (page 10).

My Wireless is an Intel WIFI 5100.

Kernel: 2.6.24-21

Im still a newbie in what comes to linux, and what I am about to say might seem pretty obvious for most of you, but there's a chance of existing someone that doesn't know this, as i didn't before.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diegovr View Post
    To get my wireless card to work again I have to unload the modules, uninstall, reinstall and load the modules again, that's disgusting but it's the only way that I've found to keep working my iwl5100 wireless card.
    Basicly, I saw Diegovr and a few more guys complaining about this. I was facing myself the same situation aswell. But i didn't have to reinstall, all i was doing was unload and re-load the modules again and voilá.

So I did:
    Code:
    lshw -C network
    (might require the sudo before, but im quite sure it doesnt).

This will list your network devices (don't know if this is only about PCI cards, i think it is, but since we're talking about this specific one..).
    So basicly you should see ethernet and wireless devices loaded (for those who are having the same issue i was, remember to only do this after reloading the modules). More or less at one of the last lines of your wireless device, you'll have something like "driver=blabla".
    This blabla is the module that was loaded, and in our case, is working. at least for me it is so far.
    In my case the module loaded was the iwl4965 so there was something like "Driver=iwl4965". Should be iwl5000? maybe, but it is working so far so I'll dig it later.
    This is the module you want to be loaded after the startup, so lets make it happen:
    Go to the terminal:

Code:
    sudo gedit /etc/modules
    After the last line, write down the name of the drivers you saw that were loaded, when you did 'lshw -C network'.
    ATENTION to capital or small letters. Everything in Linux is case sensitive, so if there appeared in small letters (my case) type it down in small letters.

If you used theburningor way to install your drivers means you didnt use ndiswrapper, (dunno what it is? then nevermind this), I advice you remove that. If it's not here, even better, nevermind, but I had it on mine modules file by default. Don't know how much is it possible to cause a conflict, but if you're not using it why loading it? (a more experienced guy confirm me this please).

Now reboot, and your drivers should be loaded automatically. Sorry for the long post, still learning how to pro write posts in small sizes.

Thanks to all of you, speccially theburningor and ModestRain

regards,
    bguito
    Last edited by bguito; October 18th, 2008 at 05:19 AM.

Beans

After the Ubuntu updates on, what was it, Thursday? My Intel Wifi Link 5100 doesnt work anymore with the previously used method. Anyone have any new ideas, or should I just wait for 8.10?

Cheers!

Beans
    Distro
    Gutsy Gibbon Testing

Quote Originally Posted by Lokiii View Post
    After the Ubuntu updates on, what was it, Thursday? My Intel Wifi Link 5100 doesnt work anymore with the previously used method. Anyone have any new ideas, or should I just wait for 8.10?

Cheers!
    Me the same. Hoping a solution...

Beans

To both of you, as i said, I'm not a pro but..
    Did those updates include a new kernel? If so, it might be that, and so, try booting with the previous version. If not, nevermind, I can't help you.. :<

Beans

Hi,

Thanks for those drivers, really i was looking for it...

I have many more doubts please help me out guys.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix116 View Post
    did the same on a COMPAL JHL90 --> no success, even with kernel update to 2.6.27rc5...

my system log shows a kind of timeout when trying to activate wlan0

already tried to activate via sudo ifconfig wlan0 up
    get this error: SIOCSIFFLAGS : connection timed out

I am quite sure this is an 64-bit-only problem, has anyone found a solution?

thanks for your help
    i too have a compal jhl90 and i just installed ibex and everything works great right out of the box! i connected up to my WPA network right quick; i got totally fed up trying to make it work in hardy. so that might be an option to those trying to get the 5100 wireless working.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

It looks like this thread has been going on for a while. It was useful; I downloaded the driver, u-code, followed the instructions, played with the rfkill bit entries, gave up, went to Intrepid, only partial luck, and back to Hardy. No luck. Even with 8.10 I could only get sporadic success. After 6 pretty much full days playing with this, reading everything I could find on the web, more re-boots than windows, I'm worn down.

I'm currently doing an upgrade back to 8.10/2.6.27-7 and will play with that when I get some energy. I'm happy for the few that were able to get it working. I have a new Asus m-70vm-c1. Fantastic machine except for the new wireless hardware. Like somebody said, cutting edge hardware and software leads to frustration, eventually joy, but not yet. Maybe it's the pesky kill switch.

If anybody has had success with an M-70, please let me know, thanks.

I did go to wicd toward the end, as at least one person reported success. It didn't help, but does seem to be a nicer interface. I don't know if it will persist over nm when my upgrade finishes, but I would like to hear what people think of it in this system.

If I thought it'd do any good, I'd paste the results of dmesg, lshw, lspci, etc, but I think it's all been covered, and I've tried pretty much everything in this thread. I'll probably just live with 8.10 and update as modules are improved; hopefully they'll get it fixed.

Beans

Not sure if there was a new kernel in there with the updates. I was in a hurry and didnt check! Can anyone confirm or deny this? Cuz Wifi isnt working at all now

Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast