Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Intel Wireless Wifi Link 5100 on Hardy

Beans

Re: Intel Wireless Wifi Link 5100 on Hardy

Quote Originally Posted by theburningor View Post
    I've been following this thread for a couple days now but just wanted to chime in to see sort of where thinga are at.

It appears that using the 2.6.27-rc2 Kernel (32-bit) was sufficient, correct? Most of the other problems have had to do with 64-bit systems?

FYI: Running Dell Latitude e6500 with Intel Wifi 5100, NVIDIA 160M gfx and Hardy Heron
    I can confirm that this driver does NOT work with 2.6.27-rc8 on an Intel Centrino 2 Duo (64-bit) with an Intel 5100 AGN. This includes trying with the latest versions of compat-wireless, both with support compiled into the kernel and with relying totally on the compat-wireless modules. This also includes using the config.mk hacks.

Basically, the 3x and 4x modules will be compiled. The 5x module apparently never is. Neither the 3x nor the 4x module will recognize the card. Yes, I have the 5000 firmware installed in /lib/firmware. Yes, I have ensured that the RF kill switch is on. And yes, I've actually cycled the RF kill switch and there's no difference.

This card is coming out in a lot of new laptops. Linux needs support for this badly.

Beans

Exclamation Re: Intel Wireless Wifi Link 5100 on Hardy

Hi all,

Cheking the last comments and trying to install the driver, I downloaded the compat-wireless-old-2008-09-09, which is the one that really work. Well, I've installed it and it works !!! BUT, whe I restart my laptop it just left to work, giving this message:

[ 137.741580] iwl4965: START_ALIVE timeout after 4000ms.
    [ 137.741656] ACPI: PCI interrupt for device 0000:02:00.0 disabled
    [ 142.258310] ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:02:00.0[A] -> GSI 16 (level, low) -> IRQ 16
    [ 142.258370] PM: Writing back config space on device 0000:02:00.0 at offset 1 (was 100002, writing 100006)
    root@debian-pride:/home/diegovr#

To get my wireless card to work again I have to unload the modules, uninstall, reinstall and load the modules again, that's disgusting but it's the only way that I've found to keep working my iwl5100 wireless card.

Beans
    Hidden!

After today's update I got my wifi working. I'm not sure if it's due to kernel update or something else but it's working with Intrepid.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Talking WORKING - Intel Wireless Wifi Link 5100 on Hardy with WICD Network Manager

I spent more than a few hours toying around with the Intel Wireless Wifi Link 5100 on a fresh Hardy install today. After sifting through numerous forums, newsgroups & mailing lists I was about to give up & wait the 19 days 'til Intrepid is due to be released.
    Then I remembered playing around with "wicd".
    This has SOLVED my wireless issues.
    I can now keep either a static or dynamic wireless IP after rebooting!
    Installing "wicd" removes "network-manager" & "network-manager-gnome". As far as I can tell this does not have any nasty side effects, but please note I'm still a bit of a noob (damn my "windows mentality"!).
    I followed the very simple instructions from the wicd website.
    Only minor hiccup I had was connecting to encrypted networks. If you have a message similar to "encryption must be enabled for this network", you have to click the "Advanced Settings" button and enter your encryption info in the window that pops up. There are templates already setup, you should be able to use WPA 1/2 with no problem.
    Hope this helps someone avoid the headaches I went through today

Beans

Hi all before this i have problems with the wireless card, and i tried the solution in page 2 of this post. It didnt solve my problem. I cannot enable my wireless card, everytime i do so the whole computer will hang there.

Now i'm using Wicd, the wired connection worked fine but the wireless is still useless

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

I'm quite a linux newbie, so this post is largely blind leading the blind. Still, I've got my card working, and would like to do what I can to help in this thread.

I decided to go ahead and install Intrepid to try to get my card working. After some extensive googling, I've managed to get it running, so this might be of some use to someone else. These steps might be useful under hardy too.

First, run sudo lshw -C network to see if your card is being detected, if your card is disabled (indicated by *-network DISABLED), and if your card has drivers (configuration: driver=????). If you're running Intrepid, it should already have the drivers. In my case, the drivers were installed, the card was detected, but the network was DISABLED. My drivers were iwlagn.

Next, run

dmesg | grep -i iwlagn

This tells you a bit more about what your card is trying to do. In my case, it was failing to load the microcode. I don't know how to fix other issues, but to fix this one, download the microcode from http://intellinuxwireless.org/?n=downloads, copy your microcode file into one of /lib/firmware or /lib/firmware/[your kernel number here]. I'm not sure which one is correct (I copied it to both, and am afraid to touch anything)

After that, run ifconfig wlan0 up. This solved the issue for me.

Beans

Thanks for trying to help me out. I shell try it tomorrow after i'm done with my studies. I'm having a test tomorrow. Still got some to go...

Beans

Alright, well, I've used a slew of these fixes, trying desperately to get this to work. I'm pretty new to messing with drivers and such in Ubuntu, my only other Linux experiences were on Fedora years ago.

I'm able to roam and discover the Wifi networks through the card, encrypted or not, but times out when trying to connect to them.

Confusing, huh?

Beans

Those with Asus M50V* laptops with an intel wireless card, I redirect you to this thread(post #3)
    Worked on intrepid beta with kernel 2.6.27 using wicd(most probably will work with networkmanager)

Beans

I have a Lenovo U330 with an Intel Wifi 5100 wireless card, and I was able to get my wireless to work with WPA2 encryption using the method using Wicd mentioned in posts #114 and #116 of this thread. I also removed the script mentioned in a previous post dealing with the RFkill switch, but this is not neccesary, and my rFkill switch still works.

All that was needed was to instal wicd, restart and check that dmesg picked up the wireless card as an Intel 5100, run ifconfig wlan0 up, and wifi networks showed up in Wicd.

Thanks alot!

Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast