Thread: [SOLVED] set ubuntu as primary OS

Beans

[SOLVED] set ubuntu as primary OS

Hi - I installed ubuntu on my macbook pro along with rEFIt, but I got rid of rEFIt, because I don't want a boot-up screen. I just want ubuntu to start when I turn on the computer. As of now, unless I hold down 'option' on the keyboard, mac osx starts by default. I tried to do it through the mac 'start-up disc' system preference, but as it doesn't know what an ext3 drive is, it would not allow me to set ubuntu as default. what do i do?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: set ubuntu as primary OS

Quote Originally Posted by jeh0753 View Post
    Hi - I installed ubuntu on my macbook pro along with rEFIt, but I got rid of rEFIt, because I don't want a boot-up screen. I just want ubuntu to start when I turn on the computer. As of now, unless I hold down 'option' on the keyboard, mac osx starts by default. I tried to do it through the mac 'start-up disc' system preference, but as it doesn't know what an ext3 drive is, it would not allow me to set ubuntu as default. what do i do?
    install refit again, and edit the config to boot into ubuntu by default.

Beans

I did that, but I'd rather just boot right into the system, if there is any way to do that. I don't even want to go into a boot-up menu, just start up ubuntu when i try to power-up.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Why don't you set ubuntu as default and set the timeout to 0? Then it would "skip" the boot menu.
    "There are 10 types of people: Those who read binary and those who don't"
    >>>"who is general failure and why is he reading my files"<<<
    The Ubuntu Counter Project - user number # 22367
    Howto automount NTFS - My wallpaper

Beans

Or do the Ubuntu only install, but if you do that, why own a mac?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Victormd View Post
    Why don't you set ubuntu as default and set the timeout to 0? Then it would "skip" the boot menu.
    This is probably the best option, but I wouldn't completely skip it in case you needed something, just reduce it to like 1 sec.

You could also try blessing the Ubuntu partition, but I am unsure of all the effects that might have on your system.

Beans

Hi- alright, in this case I suppose I'll just reinstall refit. I was just hoping for an alternative. If anyone has any other suggestions please share.. Otherwise thanks anyways, -Jake