Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: sound louder in windows then in ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

sound louder in windows then in ubuntu

I use a double boot on my laptop and when I set the audio settings to max in windows will i get a louder output then what i get when I set the audio to max in ubuntu. So ubuntu are not using the speakers to max, is there any solutions to this?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: sound louder in windows then in ubuntu

Have you check all of the volume settings? Something like advanced volume on windows
    "In a world without walls and fences, who needs windows and gates?" Having trouble compiling drivers in a different kernel?, Dual Boot Tutorial Ubuntu Hardware Support List

cprofitt is offline νόησις νοήσεως - nóesis noéseos
    Beans
    Distro

That is true on my system as well.

First... do you have a multi-speaker (surround sound) system? are the rear speakers turned on? Also, the difference in drivers might make a difference. With Creative systems the volume is 100% in Windows, and that is not the case on Ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by SpinningAround View Post
    I use a double boot on my laptop and when I set the audio settings to max in windows will i get a louder output then what i get when I set the audio to max in ubuntu. So ubuntu are not using the speakers to max, is there any solutions to this?

This is the case here also. In fact the sound is so low that in the beginning I thought there was no sound at all. When I turn the output to max both on the system and on the speaker, I could still want it higher.

I installed totem-gstream to make it work. Are there other players/codecs that might be better?
    I need mp3 and wma, video is a plus but not necessary.
    If it works, FIX IT! (Bill Gates)

Beans
    Distro

You can install the "ubuntu-restricted-extras" for an almost complete support of codecs. Or if you prefer you can install the "bad", the "good" and the "ugly" set of gstreamer plugins which let you play most media formats. I would go for the first choice since it's easier. You can install it via Synaptic Package Manager or via terminal
    sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras
    Welcome aboard!
    "In a world without walls and fences, who needs windows and gates?" Having trouble compiling drivers in a different kernel?, Dual Boot Tutorial Ubuntu Hardware Support List

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by jualin View Post
    You can install the "ubuntu-restricted-extras" for an almost
    Thanks! I'm installing the first option now. Har to wait a long time for a response from sourceforge.net, but at least it's continuing.

This package was quite large....

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by ingeva View Post
    Thanks! I'm installing the first option now. Har to wait a long time for a response from sourceforge.net, but at least it's continuing.

This package was quite large....
    It's quite large because it makes the computer install many other separate packages which include all of the plugins and codecs. But it's worth it since it's better than searching for each codec and plugin on Synaptic.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by jualin View Post
    It's quite large because it makes the computer install many other separate packages which include all of the plugins and codecs. But it's worth it since it's better than searching for each codec and plugin on Synaptic.
    Well, first it doesn't play wma files; maybe not so surprising but because it's streaming I have quite a lot of those.

And the sound isn't loader at all. Everything turned up to max gives a low volume.

Could this have something to do with the drivers, and not the codecs?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I did have the exact same problem as you did, I found this link in another post....http://doc.gwos.org/index.php/Compre...olutions_Guide

Qoute:

* Type this into a shell
    Code:

alsamixer

You will now see what appears to be a graphical equalizer. It is more like ten different volume controls in the sample place.

* To navigate around:
    o Left and Right Arrow Keys - Move left and right (if you move long enough in one direction you will get back to where you started - you will not fall off the screen )
    o
    Up and Down Arrow Keys - Increase and decrease volume respectively.
    o
    Letter M Key - Mutes/unmutes. If a channel is unmuted, then there is a green box underneath the volume slider. If the channel is muted, the box is grey.

Saving Sound Settings
    Do this step to ensure that your alsamixer settings are reloaded with each boot. First make sure you have your settings just the way you like them in alsamixer. Then do
    Code:

sudo alsactl store 0

or if this is your nth sound card (where n is the number of soundcards in your computer) replace 0 with n-1. Many thanks to xpix for trying this out.-

The above worked for me anyway, good luck.

Scott

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by s.recker View Post
    I did have the exact same problem as you did, I found this link in another post....http://doc.gwos.org/index.php/Compre...olutions_Guide

Thanks! The web page wasn't available but I could follow your description.
    The sound is a little louder now, but not very much!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast