Thread: boot up freeze

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

boot up freeze

I tried to boot up my computer after a Update/Upgrade it had a new kernal and now it freezes before the progress bar shows up. I tried in recovery mode, but it freezes to. I need help. Although I can recover most of my data. The data I can't get is not vital. It is password protected and read only.
    Being smarter than the average man my mistakes are worse then the average man

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: boot up freeze

I had nearly the same problem yesterday after downloading some updates. Although I would get in Ubuntu, my screen would freeze. Today I was stunned to see that everything was Ok.(Touch wood).
    Good luck.Any advice (especially commands in terminal) would be welcome,especially as I was considering formatting and reinstalling Ubuntu.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Can you boot into the previous kernel, and what was the version number of the newer kernel?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I don't have that option due to sum. I don't think that will solve the problem though

Beans

If you had the proposed repository on, and installed 2.6.24-20 kernel, it may be a source of your problem.

I don't know too much details of it, but a bag has been filed.
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ux/+bug/251344

I had the similar problem, so now am booting the older kernel (2,6.24-19) which still works fine! On the side note, I believe that, by default, Ubuntu does not overwrite older kernels, so you should be able to go back to it. And if you decided to delete older kernels manually, it is recommended to keep at least one older kernel.

Cheers

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by penquin View Post
    I don't have that option due to sum.
    I don't understand what you mean.

Quote Originally Posted by penquin View Post
    I don't think that will solve the problem though
    If a problem is caused by a new kernel, then booting into an old one is the standard way of getting around the problem.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

sum= start up manager. how do you get around this

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

You said you were able to boot up into recovery mode, so I would have thought that you selected that from the grub menu. You should be able to select a previous kernel from the grub menu as well.

If you managed to get into recovery mode some other way, and you are not seeing the grub menu, pressing esc immediately after the BIOS POST screen should bring it up. You have to be quick - perhaps repeatedly pressing esc near the end of the POST sequence will be best.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

actually I can't get into recovery mode. I Thought that is what I wrote. If I could edit the boot file I could probably get into a different kernal. Does anyone know if you can edit it in windows?

update I removed menu.lst and replaced it with menu.lst.backup and I am now in it.
    Last edited by penquin; August 8th, 2008 at 10:05 PM.