Thread: Should I let Ubuntu remember all my passwords?

Beans

Should I let Ubuntu remember all my passwords?

When I was on Windows, I remember seeing many programs which could pull passwords and things out of the computer if you let your computer remember them. Although this is useful when you forget a password, it can also be used with malicious intent. My question is, were I to let Ubuntu remember all my passwords, is it possible to retrieve them and how likely is this since many viruses are written for windows and not linux?
    ///////
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 (OCed:378x9:3.4GHz), P5K-SE, 4gb DDR2 800MHz Corsair RAM (4-4-4-12 OCed) 500gb Seagate 7200.11 HDD, Antec 900, 8600GT

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Should I let Ubuntu remember all my passwords?

Quote Originally Posted by /////// View Post
    since many viruses are written for windows and not linux?
    If you trust the people in your household and/or they're too unfamiliar with Linux or PCs in general save 'em. Viruses indeed are of no concern. However, if people with a basic understanding of Linux have physical access to your system and are a concern to you, you might not want to.
    One ought, every day at least, to hear a little song, read a good poem, see a fine picture, and, if it were possible, speak a few reasonable words...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Should I let Ubuntu remember all my passwords?

Quote Originally Posted by /////// View Post
    When I was on Windows, I remember seeing many programs which could pull passwords and things out of the computer if you let your computer remember them. Although this is useful when you forget a password, it can also be used with malicious intent. My question is, were I to let Ubuntu remember all my passwords, is it possible to retrieve them and how likely is this since many viruses are written for windows and not linux?
    I guess this is more about firefox than ubuntu. I personally let firefox remember my passwords. I then open preferences in firefox and set a master password. Each time i come to a sire that requires my password, I just need to type my master password to let firefox automatically insert the required password.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Wink Re: Should I let Ubuntu remember all my passwords?

Also in firefox U can see all the stored website/login/passwords in security tab, which is not possible in other explorer. u should set the master password and enjoy securely.