Thread: Apache2 madening php error

Beans

Apache2 madening php error

I am pretty new at this, but I am trying to run apache server and I have a php test page in the sites-enabled directory that consists simply of the text:

<?php
    phpinfo();
    echo "Hello World";
    ?>

When I try to start apache2 I get the error:

"apache2: Syntax error on line 298 of /etc/apache2/apache2.conf: Syntax error on line 1 of /etc/apache2/sites-enabled/phptest.php: /etc/apache2/sites-enabled/phptest.php:1: <?php> was not closed.

From what I can tell online, my PHP looks fine. Can anyone tell me what I am missing?

Beans

Re: Apache2 madening php error

That looks like it should work. You could try single quotes or use print rather than echo, but I think that should work. Try this:

<?php
    phpinfo();
    echo 'Hello World';
    ?>

Beans

I just tried it with the single quotes as you suggested, and I am getting the same error.

Beans

My guess is you have something going on with your apache configuration. I say that because code you are typing is essentially THE test line. If you are configuring everything yourself, that is, without the default LAMP install, I would open the apache2.conf and see if anything seems fishy on line 298.

I'm assuming you have tried it without the phpinfo() call and simply added it for feedback.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

the location of your php file should not be the site-enabled folder.

put your php file in /var/www/

the sites-enabled folder typically houses symbolic links to conf files in sites-available. It should not contain php or html files.

Apache's error is telling you that it is trying to read your php file as a configuration file for apache which is not what you want.

Beans

Thanks Mbeach! I knew it had to be something dumb that I was doing wrong. I am trying to teach myself how to set up mysql and this was basically the very first step in making sure everything was installed. I must have mis-read the directions I found online.

I moved the file to /var/www and now I can navigate to http://localhost/phptest.php

Thanks again for the help.