Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast

Thread: How-To: Disable IPV6 to speed up Internet.

Beans

Re: How-To: Disable IPV6 to speed up Internet.

In order to dis-able IPV 6 DNS lookups in FireFox, this really slows down firefox:

1. Open a new tab
    2. type in the address bar (with out the quotes) "about:config" Enter
    3. When it gives you the warning click "I'll be careful, I promise"
    4. In the filter bar type "ipv6"
    5. right click on "network.dns.disableIPv6;true" and choose "Toggle"

Close the tab. You are done. This also works in Windows.

Beans

how about disabling it on karmic? is it the same way?

Beans

Smile Re: How-To: Disable IPV6 to speed up Internet.

Greetings

I was facing a slow internet (web browsing) issue myself with Ubuntu and reached this discussion trying to find a solution.

I have not read all posts so I'm sorry if I will repeat something already told.

In my case the solution was simply to deactivate the "Block reported attack sites" and "Block reported web forgeries" options at the Preferences>Security tab of Firefox.

Hope this helps some users

Happy New Year to all

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I agree with the post above; the firefox setting to disable IPv6 works for me, also on Karmic.

However, host lookups from the command-line are slow (e.g. host www.google.com): I get a IPv4 reply quickly:

Code:
    mvl@purple:~$ host www.google.com
    www.google.com is an alias for www.l.google.com.
    www.l.google.com has address 74.125.77.99
    www.l.google.com has address 74.125.77.147
    www.l.google.com has address 74.125.77.104
    and then there is a pause, which I am pretty sure is caused by an IPv6 lookup attempt, which then results in:
    Code:
    ;; connection timed out; no servers could be reached
    ;; connection timed out; no servers could be reached
    I suspect that the built-in router/DNS server of my wireless DSL modem does not support IPv6.

Switching off IPv6 with the kernel boot option, as described here: http://www.ubuntugeek.com/how-to-dis...in-ubuntu.html
    does not help.

Even 'host -4' seems to try the IPv6 lookup. That's strange, or?

Any insights/ideas on this are welcome...

Beans

Disable ipv6 in karmic http://www.webupd8.org/2009/11/how-t...buntu-910.html
    Cheers
    Sharke
    Conroe core2 duo 2400 Intel 950G Graphics
    Karmic 32 Bit

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Josef K. View Post
    sorry for the silly question :rolleyes: (but man page isn't so clear to me)
    why there's ipv6 if you should disable?
    IPV4 is the current IP addressing scheme, whereby you have IP addresses in 4 groups of 1-to-3 digits separated by a dot: 192.168.0.1

There are only so many IP addresses to go around, and in sometime in 2011 we will run out of available IP addresses to assign to new users of the Internet.

The IPV6 system increases the size of the pool of available IP addresses manyfold. I am not sure about how this system works, but I am sure there must be an article on Wikipedia about IPV6 and IPV4.

IPV4 handles the Latin alphabet that the English-speaking world uses, and IPV4 is sufficient for our use as long as the supply holds up. IPV6 handles domain names written in Chinese and other similar language scripts, and is therefore already in use in those parts of the world where those languages are used.

It is possible to disable IPV6 and speed up IPV4 processing, but you will eventually not have access to new resources as the supply of IP addresses runs out and new resources must be assigned IP's under the IPV6 system.
    Last edited by L a r r y; August 2nd, 2010 at 06:16 PM.
    Ubuntu 12.04 LTS, Running on:
    2.8 GHz Pentium 4 with 1.2 GiB of RAM
    Ubuntu 10.04 LTS: 1GHz AMD Athlon, 512Mbytes RAM, NVIDIA Video card, 64Mbytes RAM

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by mhael View Post
    There's an easy way: instead of changing aliases file, create fie named bad_list in /etc/modprobe.d containing this line:
    Code:
    alias net-pf-10 off
    Now reboot and voila, no IPv6 on your system!

This method will work even if /etc/modprobe.d/aliases get replaced at some update.
    I see I posted a reply earlier to this thread, responding to something on page 1 of a 16-page thread.

Oh woe.

I tried this bad_list approach in 10.04 and I still have IPV6 on my system after a reboot, but I disabled it in Firefox -- Boy did the pages fly onto my screen!

Just enter about:config into the address bar and enter ipv6 into the filter and toggle the value to true on the one item that comes up.
    Ubuntu 12.04 LTS, Running on:
    2.8 GHz Pentium 4 with 1.2 GiB of RAM
    Ubuntu 10.04 LTS: 1GHz AMD Athlon, 512Mbytes RAM, NVIDIA Video card, 64Mbytes RAM

Beans

I'm having problems with my internet connection. Firefox was really slow. I fix the problem setting network.dns.disableIPv6;true in about:config.

But I still having problems with other software, like curl. Any curl request takes 20 seconds to return in Ubuntu. With Windows they return instantly. I also have some Java code that does some http requests, which also takes 20 seconds and in Windows returns instantly.

I already tried
    Code:
    echo 'blacklist ipv6' | sudo tee -a '/etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.local' >/dev/null
    echo "#disable ipv6" | sudo tee -a /etc/sysctl.conf
    echo "net.ipv6.conf.all.disable_ipv6 = 1" | sudo tee -a /etc/sysctl.conf
    echo "net.ipv6.conf.default.disable_ipv6 = 1" | sudo tee -a /etc/sysctl.conf
    echo "net.ipv6.conf.lo.disable_ipv6 = 1" | sudo tee -a /etc/sysctl.conf
    but with no results.

command
    Code:
    cat /proc/sys/net/ipv6/conf/all/disable_ipv6
    returns 1

and
    Code:
    lsmod | grep ipv6
    returns nothing

Does anyone have some clue on what could be wrong?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by Saiboogu View Post
    For future support. IPv4 is running out of address space, so we must transition to IPv6 at some point soon. IPv6 also offers other benefits that I'm not immediately aware of ... Just the latest and greatest networking gimick, yada yada But support isn't widespread yet, so mostly its just sitting idle on your system. Disabling it removes some bloat and streamlines your networking for the time being, especially (in my experience) within Firefox.

Try typing about:config in your Firefox address bar. Type ipv6 in the "Filter:" box, find the option that says "network.dns.disableIPv6". If it reads "False" right click and toggle it to True. Should give you a slight speedup in your browsing.

EDIT: As usual, I sat on my reply too long. I even refreshed the initial page before I posted to make sure I didn't do this .. Pagebreak fooled me. But, I like SJ's answer better anyway ....

Oh dude! Thank you so much for that! I was struggling to get 1kb/s until I did what you said and then my dl finished in a split second!

Since this is my first post here, just a little background on me: I live in Melbourne Australia, 25y.o married, bub on the way, and am not what you would call good with computers. I get by, but I'm not great, so your input has helped me immensely! Ubuntu 11.04 is my first real Linux experience, which I am using because I use an eeePC for uni, and it was PAINFULLY slow on XP. Please don't can my account for this statement, but I personally am quite fond of Windows 7 as it is a delightful change from the rubbish you got with Vista and XP. I am struggling to get around ubuntu, and (no offence to the creators of it, compliments are below) I am finding it very difficult without any computer knowledge to get around. As for the compliments I have for it: First off, I was impressed by how easy it is to do the basic stuff. Just accessing files, updating etc... was a breeze! It was pretty easy to install, and I liked how it had my sound, mouse, speaker etc... drivers ready to go. Good job on it there guys! You guys have done a great job for a software that earns you no money, and for that: hats off! I know i complained about some aspects above, but don't think I don't know why these problems are there, and that I am not impressed regardless at the quality of the OS considering it is free and made on peoples free time. I know its evolution will continue and do hope that it catches windows soon (as good as 7 is, $300 is a bit steep!!!).

Thanks again guys! I know that I will be on here again with more drama's as I can't stand it. I personally work on cars, and am quite good with them, so if you have any car drama's just PM me. If it is a car that we do not have in Australia, then forgive the amount of conversation needed to diagnose problems, but that would be expected when dealing with a foreign to me car (if anyone ever tells you all cars are the same, they are lying or stupid).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Hi guys, sorry to bug you again, but I have another internet speed related issue that isn't ivp6 related. When I plug my eeepc into power, the internet is great. It runs at the same speed it used to on XP, and that my wifes netbook with XP does. However, once i run onto batteries, it becomes REALLY slow. I've scoured the power settings, and wireless settings that I could find and there was nothing about capping the speed to save power or anything. How can I fix this?

Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast