Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: How-To: Disable IPV6 to speed up Internet.

Beans

Re: How-To: Disable IPV6 to speed up Internet.

I'm a bit confused. Where exactly do I go about typing this? In the terminal? Because I tried it there, and after the second line it said "directory not found".

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

If you're having problems in Synaptic or Firefox, if you're a newbie like me, here's the process at it's most basic:

ipv6 is a protocol not handled by many routers. It's new and will be needed someday (which means a long time from now (like years) you're gonna have to buy a new one. In the meantime, config linux not to use it by:

1. Open a Terminal Window
    2. Type sudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/bad_list/
    3. In the gedit window, type: alias net-pf-10 off
    4. Save the file and reboot.

To make sure you no longer have ipv6 running, open a terminal window and type:
    ip a | grep inet6

Many thanks to mhael for this process!

gs
    - - - -
    Nothing wrong with a nice cup of Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by guysmiley
    If you're having problems in Synaptic or Firefox, if you're a newbie like me, here's the process at it's most basic:

ipv6 is a protocol not handled by many routers. It's new and will be needed someday (which means a long time from now (like years) you're gonna have to buy a new one. In the meantime, config linux not to use it by:

To make sure you no longer have ipv6 running, open a terminal window and type:
    ip a | grep inet6

Many thanks to mhael for this process!

gs

this is what i am getting before and after creating the file....

Code:
    ip a | grep inet6
    inet6 ::1/128 scope host
    inet6 fe80::212:f0ff:fe24:202d/64 scope link
    any clues..... ???

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Hi
    neoflight,
    I had to go into Firefox as well.Open a new tab and type "about:config". Then scroll down to "network.dns.disableIPv6"...if it reads "true", leave it. I f it reads "false", double-click on it to make it read "true".
    Then try the test again: ip a | grep inet6
    Last edited by xyz; April 13th, 2006 at 11:22 PM.
    my JAMENDO * The XY sex-determination system is the sex-determination system found in humans and Z was my donor! * Tarot and Poya Sutra | * # 12755

Beans

Thanks to mhael again, you made it very clear for a newbee like me to follow.
    Ariam.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Yagisan, well said. I would add that ipv6 was considered necessary until the widespread use of NAT routing made it less so. Now, due to NAT routing, everyone in a household can have their own private ip behind the NAT router, which only requires one ip address from your ISP. Even some ISPs are now using NAT routing for their customers. This has taken a lot of the pressure off in needing immediate implimentation of ipv6.

Glen

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

So, maybe a solution would be during the install of Ubuntu, ask whether you want/need ipv6 enabled, and take the appropriate action...

Then there would only need to be a HOW TO on "enabling ipv6" when it is needed...

"I've gone out to find myself... If I'm not back in 10 minutes, come and get me"

Beans
    Hidden!

Talking Re: How-To: Disable IPV6 to speed up Internet.

Quote Originally Posted by mhael
    There's an easy way: instead of changing aliases file, create fie named bad_list in /etc/modprobe.d containing this line:
    Code:
    alias net-pf-10 off
    Now reboot and voila, no IPv6 on your system!

This method will work even if /etc/modprobe.d/aliases get replaced at some update.
    Thanks a lot for your solution. just what a newbe like me needed. after a upgrade to the latest dapper my internet dident work at all,even not after trying to disable ipv6 in firefox.
    But now i am writing from my ubuntu box.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by mhael
    There's an easy way: instead of changing aliases file, create fie named bad_list in /etc/modprobe.d containing this line:
    Code:
    alias net-pf-10 off
    Now reboot and voila, no IPv6 on your system!

This method will work even if /etc/modprobe.d/aliases get replaced at some update.
    Outstanding suggestion! I did this on both my Ubuntu boxes and it worked like a charm. I had actually done this in Windows a long time ago, but never thougt about it in Linux until this thread. Thank you all. Web pages are poppin'.

Glen

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

It works well and definetly speeds up the 'net all around, but their still seems to be a delay. In windows when I go to a URL it loads instantly in Ubuntu it takes a second or two until looks for the server.

My sisters laptop uses a wireless connection and webpages load instantly with windows.
    Big Dan {my blog} | DJ Help

Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast