Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which distro is the easiest for dial-up

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Which distro is the easiest for dial-up

"Stupid Mode" changes the logon procedure from open text handled by wvdial, to PAP/CHAP handled by PPPD. It wouldn't affect speed.

Yes, I installed using the package manager via the double-click. I've done nothing more to tune or tweak the driver.

With the driver from Dell, if you'll add "S95=45" to the init string, the modem will return additional info when it connects. This will include the protocol (V92, V90, V34, etc), DTE rate, DCE rate (both up & down), & compression (V42bis, V44). This info might be useful in helping diagnose what's going on.

I don't know if this command will work with the driver from Linuxant but, if not, theirs will have an equivalent command, I'm sure.
    Last edited by ModelM; August 5th, 2008 at 05:00 PM. Reason: Because it's *yawn* too early...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

A tech support sent out some new init strings to try. At the first one an online speed test said it was getting 26 Kbs but when I go to install updates, they only download at 2.6 kbs. Could it be that the problem isn't in the modem or driver but in Ubuntu itself?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

One of the problems with dialup modems is finding a reliable method to measure throughput. The speed readout of the Synaptic package manager *cough* could be better.

Various websites will try to give you a speed measurement but you are at the mercy of many variables - protocol overhead (both tcp/ip & ppp), server location, traffic switching changes, etc.

You need a consistent & convenient tool which is both reliable & repeatable in order to gauge the true metric of your modem. And you have one.

When you are downloading a file for testing, just open a terminal & type:

pppstats -w10

This will print every 10 seconds the stats of the ppp interface. You can change the number to -w1 which will print every second but I prefer -w10 as it smooths the numbers somewhat. Using pppstats -w10 and rounding off to the first two digits will give you a good picture of data flowing across the interface. So a number of 49282 would be about 49k, not bad for a 56k modem. You'll see different number ranges for different file types depending on how compressible the file is, but with some time trying different file types you'll get a good feel for the numbers.
    Last edited by ModelM; August 7th, 2008 at 09:31 AM. Reason: because I didn't get it right the first time...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12