Thread: [SOLVED] How copy harddisk

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

[SOLVED] How copy harddisk

How can I copy the content of a (Ubuntu) hard disk to a larger hard disk without having to do the whole installation of add-ons and other software already installed on the original HD?
    "Some people say if you play a windows cd backwards it plays satanic messages. That's nothing, because if you play it forwards it installs windows!" (Author unknown)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: How copy harddisk

The applications to consider are dd and partimage. The easiest way to use them is with a boot disk such as Clonezilla, which is designed precisely for copying disks and partitions.
    I am aware of all internet traditions. | Getting the best help | Text formatting codes | My last.fm profile
    Should I PM support questions? NO!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I did download Clonzilla and copied it to a DVD. I put the DVD drive as primary boot device but it does not boot from the DVD. What would be my next step?
    "Some people say if you play a windows cd backwards it plays satanic messages. That's nothing, because if you play it forwards it installs windows!" (Author unknown)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

The Clonezilla package was written in such a way that one can give it the instruction to write itself to that DVD disk, right click on it, and than it is immediately self booting.
    I am still learning everyday again.