Thread: Re-thinking workspaces

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re-thinking workspaces

I like workspaces, but too many times I've thought they should be really like completely different screens. They should have their own desktop icons, their own panel applets, their own Gnome layout, their own wallpaper of course, etc., etc., etc.

You could have a work workspace, a leisure workspace and maybe more. You could have a different workspace for each different project you're working on at the same time. Workspaces might belong to a single user or they might represent different logged-in users.

What do you think?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Re-thinking workspaces

In Kubuntu you can have different wallpaper for each workspace.
    I use 5 workspaces for different purposes, and the wallpaper reminds me where I am. This much flexibility might be counter to the simple usability philosophy of Ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Actually, most first time users never go beyond their main workspace, so that feature can be safely considered an advanced feature.

I'm not suggesting a new workspace appears completely empty. A default behaviour would be the current one. But power-user options might provide tools to make truly different workspaces a reality.

Wallpaper-per-workspace is coming to Gnome via Compiz, as soon as Nautilus supports transparent backgrounds. However, this is probably the least important part of the idea. Much more importante would be, for instance, making desktop items belong to each workspace, not to all. I might have one workspace's desktop overcrowded with folders and files belonging to a project and another workspace would be clean for other purposes. I might have specific tools in the panel for one workspace and different ones in the next. I might use a dock for fun in one workspace and a taskbar for functionality in another.
    Last edited by sicofante; August 2nd, 2008 at 05:51 PM.

i completely agree.

Beans

As early as 8.10 according to Brainstorm ... I would welcome the ability too.
    Ubuntu 8.10 x64 & XP Pro x64, Intel DP35DP MoBo, 3.0 GHz E8400 C2D, (2x2) GB GSkill DDR2 800 RAM, BFG-NVidia 8800GT video,
    Koutech PCIe NE222 I/O & PESI300 RAID, M-Audio 2496, DLink 10/100 PCI NIC, and Gateway 24" WS.
    > Linux user #: 476579 <

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Another +1 for this idea from me
    Is there a brainstorm page for it?
    Don't forget to give thanks and mark your thread as solved

Beans

Ubuntu 8.10 x64 & XP Pro x64, Intel DP35DP MoBo, 3.0 GHz E8400 C2D, (2x2) GB GSkill DDR2 800 RAM, BFG-NVidia 8800GT video,
    Koutech PCIe NE222 I/O & PESI300 RAID, M-Audio 2496, DLink 10/100 PCI NIC, and Gateway 24" WS.
    > Linux user #: 476579 <

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by xen-uno View Post
    I'm sorry the trend (and that particular brainstorm poll) is just about wallpapers. The idea here goes well beyond that. This one http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/6247/ goes a little bit further, but still... The concept is defining the workspace not just as a duplicate of the current area where only the active windows are different, but a true separate space for a true different work. Our computers are really powerful and could handle this easily. It's not a paradigm shift or something revolutionary: it's about taking the idea of workspaces to its full potential, not the current shy auxiliary approach. It's multitasking applied to the desktop metaphor: I use my workshop for building computers, my living room to watch movies, my office to do general business. I don't want three computers: I can do it all with one if the appropriate environment is available at my fingertips with a proper workspace for each need.

Gnome 3.0 seems to be lacking... This might be something in the spirit of "evolutionary" not "revolutionary".
    Last edited by sicofante; August 3rd, 2008 at 02:37 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Very good points, sicofante, and you brought up everything I've thought about since installing Ubuntu a few weeks ago.
    As it stands, I use the workspaces to differentiate between internet apps, file browsing/word processing, etc. It's great to not have all that crowded onto one screen, but it would be even better to not have AWN showing when I'm on the Abiword screen, etc.
    I'll be patient, though. I haven't disavowed Windows entirely, since I couldn't do without Tracktion or Battlefield 2 for instance, but Ubuntu has me hooked nevertheless.