Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: [SOLVED] Installing SSH

Beans

Re: Installing SSH

Quote Originally Posted by WRDN View Post
    The easiest way to allow port 22 (default for SSH), is to install Firestarter (from repo's), and on the "Inbound Connections" Policy, add a rule to allow port 22. Personally, I would limit this to your network, rather than everyone.
    No, that's bad advice.

In default ubuntu install all ports are already open so his problem is not about opening ports in his ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I installed Firestarter anyways I might as well, I opened 80, 22, and 443, I have SSL working as well so I needed 443. Anything else I do with the machine still works after that but still no luck with SSH.
    -Zach

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by Vivaldi Gloria View Post
    No, that's bad advice.

In default ubuntu install all ports are already open so his problem is not about opening ports in his ubuntu.
    I had to edit the firewall settings using the method I described before SSH would work for me.
    While it is true that all ports are open, no services are listening, so changes must be made to the firewall.
    Everything that has a Beginning, has an End

Beans
    Distro

I tried putting the IP address of the switch that the machine is connected to into the browser to see if I could check it's configuration, I want to see if port 22 is open on the switch, how can I do that?
    -Zach

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Well from the output of iptables -L we can see iptables is set to accept all connections from anywhere, so it's not a host based firewall, (all firestarter does is configure iptables which we know isn't the problem) I would try to telnet to the linux computer on port 22, if it gets through you'll get a response like this:
    (I forget the exact syntax on windows I believe you add a colon to specify port)
    Code:
    telnet 192.168.2.1:22
    SSH-2.0-OpenSSH_4.7p1 Debian-8ubuntu1.2

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by zdunham View Post
    I ran the command you said here is what I got:

Code:
    Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT)
    target   prot opt source     destination

Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT)

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)
    Don't know if that helps.
    It's not his firewall, his firewall is set to accept all connections here. I agree firestarter will only hinder things atm.
    This is either a putty setting or hardware firewall.

Beans
    Distro

I tried what you said from the command line and it tries port 23 anyways, then I tried PuTTY because you can use Telnet in there also and it just doesn't connect.
    -Zach

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by zdunham View Post
    I installed Firestarter anyways I might as well, I opened 80, 22, and 443, I have SSL working as well so I needed 443. Anything else I do with the machine still works after that but still no luck with SSH.
    You are writing the correct ip, right? If yes, then you have to be sure of two things.

(1) Port 22 reaches your machine.

(2) There isn't a setting in /etc/ssh/sshd_config which allows only local connections. For example edit that file and add

Code:
    ListenAddress *
    See "man sshd_config" for more info. Also check the option called something like "AllowUsers".

I'll bet my money on option (1). Again, how does the ubuntu system connect to internet? A switch itself doesn't connect to internet. You must be connecting over a modem or router. Anything between you and the internet must forward port 22 to the ubuntu machine.

Beans
    Distro

Being an idiot, I can't figure out how to access the switch, I'm actually a computer science student interning at a place and this is some of my first REAL experience with network stuff. I put the switch's IP in the web browser and it says failed to open...

I'll try what you just said Gloria.
    -Zach

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Are you on the same LAN?

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast