Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Good Barebones deal for Myth TV System?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Good Barebones deal for Myth TV System? - VGA vs. DVI

Quote Originally Posted by bglaze1 View Post
    Thanks e00, from what I am learning, the VGA input is usually limited by your TV. So when you switched over to the DVI, you were able to get a great signal? That is good, I was considering using your motherboard. How have you liked yours? Do you know if that was a limitation on that motherboard's VGA output, or if it was, in fact, your TV's VGA input that limited the resolution?

Also, can anyone explain the following random thoughts:
    So I understand that the VGA signal can handle HD quality resolution. But since the VGA signal is actually an analog signal, and the DVI signal is a digital signal, what does this mean in terms of what MythTV is actually doing?
    I don't think it makes much of a difference to mythtv, but I'm not sure on that. It's more about X and your video card and video card driver.

Am I going to need much more processing power to convert the digital HD stream to an analog VGA signal to output to my TV?
    No, shouldn't make a difference.

Will this add more delay when I am watching live TV (and thus more delay in changing channels)?
    No, not from mythtv's side.

I assume that I have to at least lose some quality (but from the sounds of it, probably not a real noticeable amount).
    Maybe, maybe not - this more depends on how well your TV set processes the different signals. It a similar argument people have with component in vs. DVI-D/HDMI. In some cases, component can look better even though it is analog. For most people on most sets, the difference in negligible IMHO.
    Last edited by newlinux; August 4th, 2008 at 12:26 AM.
    Linux & MythTV 4 Life
    Running ubuntu on an Atom 330, Atom D525, Turion 64 X2 TL-56, X2 3800, X2 4200, X2 4600, E2180, Core i5 450M, and a Core i7-2600
    My Hardware

Beans

Re: Good Barebones deal for Myth TV System?

My two cents - yah VGA can be quite good if your TV supports a native VGA input at a decent resolution.

BTW HDMI is just DVI + Sound. I drive my plasma via a simple ($10) DVI-HDMI adapter at 720p with very good results.

A Warning : The NVidia 6100 does *not* support XvMC (hard accelerated mpeg) - I actually have the motherboard (desktop PC) you're looking at. However the CPU is easily capable of HD playback and I tested it at 768p over my VGA connector.

There is the Asus M2N-VM-DVI or M2N-VM-HDMI which has a NVidia 7050 and DVI or HDMI out. That's what I've used for my mythbox with excellent results.

The ATI 690G or 780G chipsets may seem tempting but IMHO avoid them like the plague, people still seem to be having heaps of problems with video playback on them.
    Last edited by Lindsay.Mathieson; August 4th, 2008 at 02:12 AM.

Beans

Thanks volkswagner, newlinux. I will have to be especially careful when I pick out my HDTV to make sure that is supports the inputs I want at the resolutions I want. Great advice, thanks again. I will make sure that it supports 1080p in on VGA.
    I guess I could always add another video card that had DVI out, if the TV I get doesn't support 1080p VGA input, right? Can you have a PCIe video card when there is an onboard video card?

Lindsay.Mathieson, thanks for the heads up on the 6100. I would never have known that. Do you have any idea whether the CPU on that system would be able to handle 1080p without the hardware accelerated mpeg support? Does the NVIDIA 7050 have hardware accelerated mpeg support? And I am strictly NVIDIA, there is no temptation to get an ATI card here.

Beans

I guess I could always add another video card that had DVI out, if the TV I get doesn't support 1080p VGA input, right? Can you have a PCIe video card when there is an onboard video card?
    Yes, not a problem.

Do you have any idea whether the CPU on that system would be able to handle 1080p without the hardware accelerated mpeg support?
    It should be able to - I actually run my system (AMD 5200+) with XvMC off as I dislike the monochrome and jittery OSD that XvMC produces. Cavet - I only drive my TV at 720P but I have played back 1080p encoded videos with high bit rates. CPU was at 90% for them but most of the time its at 60% for my HD stuff.

Does the NVIDIA 7050 have hardware accelerated mpeg support
    Definitely, worked out of the box no config needed on my mythbuntu istall.

One thing - IMHO (and others) there's no much point in running 1080p unless your TV is >= 50inch, otherwise you just can't tell the difference.
    Last edited by Lindsay.Mathieson; August 4th, 2008 at 09:08 AM.

Beans

So with the HDMI you get sound. How do you handle sound when you are connected using the VGA input on your TV?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

So with the HDMI you get sound. How do you handle sound when you are connected using the VGA input on your TV?
    I use spdif out to my stereo receiver from my machine, or just analog stereo out for rooms that don't have spdif capable receivers. HDMI audio support in Linux is fairly new-not sure how compatible things are...
    Linux & MythTV 4 Life
    Running ubuntu on an Atom 330, Atom D525, Turion 64 X2 TL-56, X2 3800, X2 4200, X2 4600, E2180, Core i5 450M, and a Core i7-2600
    My Hardware

Beans

There should be a two RCA stereo input plugs on your TV - on mine they're actually beside the VGA input and labelled "PC Input", a phone-jack-RCA adapter from your M/B analogue output should work fine. Or better yet if you have a stero amp by your TV just output to it.

And yah, as newlinux said HDMI sound output on linux is pretty new (ie. really tricky to get working). I gather that its pretty tricky under windows as well.

Beans

One of the motherboards I am looking at has a microphone jack, a line out, and a line in. The other one has 6 audio jacks. I am currently leaning towards purchasing the one with the 6 jacks, but what are they used for? Surround sound? There is a black, orange, and gray jack besides the other three. I haven't dealt with anything like that before (obviously, hence the question).

So the audio line out on the one would be what I need to find this adapter. So I would be taking the line out and converting it to the RCA audio, where does the phone jack come into this? Sorry, I am confused.

And what does it take to set up SPDIF? Just a cable and a TV capable of receiving it? Or is this a seperate output from your motherboard?

Beans

I am currently leaning towards purchasing the one with the 6 jacks, but what are they used for? Surround sound?
    Yup. You only need to use three of the jacks (the other three are inputs). The Jacks are stereo so you have 6 channels (5.1). Of course you need a surround amp that accepts analogue inputs. The chipset for these are typically Intel HD - ALC88x, can be finicky getting them to work with Myth, see my blog entry.

You can still just output stereo if you want as well.

So the audio line out on the one would be what I need to find this adapter. So I would be taking the line out and converting it to the RCA audio, where does the phone jack come into this? Sorry, I am confused.
    Probably I'm mixing up terminology You just need a adaptor from the audio out on your M/B (3.5m jack?) to the inputs on your TV, which will probably be RCA plugs. $10 from your local electronics shop.

And what does it take to set up SPDIF? Just a cable and a TV capable of receiving it? Or is this a seperate output from your motherboard?
    This I've never tried. Does require config of Linux and MythTV though.

Beans

So do I have a mircophone, a line out, a line in, and then three surround sound jacks? That would allow me to use the three for surround following your blog post or just use the line out (which would be the analog signal, right?) and your suggested headphone jack to RCA converter (3.5mm-RCA, when you said phone I was thinking RJ11, now I am following you. Thanks.)

Is "stereo out" and "analog audio" the same as the "audio line out"?

When you said that you need a surround amp that accepts analogue inputs, is that pretty standard or is this an unusual connection?

(Right now I don't have any of this stuff, I am just building for the future - HDTV, surround sound system, receiver, etc.)
    Last edited by bglaze1; August 6th, 2008 at 08:14 AM. Reason: clarification

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast