Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Good Barebones deal for Myth TV System?

Beans

Good Barebones deal for Myth TV System?

I found this deal on a barebones system, and I was wondering if it would be a good start for my Myth TV system?

-AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ Black Edition Processor ADO5000DSWOF
    -MSI K9N6SGM-V Motherboard - NVIDIA GeForce 6100/nForce 405, Socket AM2, MicroATX, Audio, Video, PCI Express 1.0, 10/100 Ethernet LAN, USB 2.0, SATA, RAID
    -Crucial 2048MB PC5400 DDR2 667MHz Memory

I am not a hardware guy. So would the PC5400 be fast enough or do I need something better than this?
    Also I know that NVIDIA is awesome, but I don't know how they work when they are onboard. Does anyone have a similar setup to this and does it work well, or would I want one that has a seperate slot for the video card? Maybe onboard is better, I haven't seen anything about onboard video cards.

Or I found another one that is $50 more:
    -AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ Black Edition Processor ADO5000DSWOF
    -Asus M2N-MX SE Plus Motherboard - NVIDIA GeForce 6100, Socket AM2, ATX, Audio, Video, PCI Express, 10/100 Ethernet LAN, USB 2.0, Serial ATA, RAID
    -Crucial 4GB (2x2048MB) PC5400 DDR2 667MHz Memory

From what I have seen the cheaper one (the first one I listed has better reviews on the motherboard), so I am leaning towards that system, since I don't see that I would need 4GB of RAM, but my goal is to have a system that can handle dual-HD streams (I am getting a SiliconDust HDHomeRun.

Can anyone help me with some of these concerns? It seems like a good system to me, but I would just like some confirmation from someone with a similar setup that this would be a great place to start. Thanks for the help.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Good Barebones deal for Myth TV System?

The first system is powerful enough to do what you want. Unless you plan on doing a ton of transcoding to highly compressed formats the most CPU intensive thing you will probably be doing is displaying (decoding) HD. Capturing HD doesn't take much of a CPU because the digital stream is already encoded.

The onboard 6100 will be fine. The most similar system I have to what you are building is an old X2 4200 2GB PC3200 with onboard nvidia 6150 that works like a charm as a master backend. It is actually my primary playback machine on my living room plasma and produces a wonderful HD picture. The PC5400 will be fine.

I have a much lower powered machine (P4 3.0Ghz, Intel GMA900 onboard, 2GB PC3200) which also does a good job on HD.
    Linux & MythTV 4 Life
    Running ubuntu on an Atom 330, Atom D525, Turion 64 X2 TL-56, X2 3800, X2 4200, X2 4600, E2180, Core i5 450M, and a Core i7-2600
    My Hardware

Beans

Thanks newlinux.
    Good to hear that it should be capable of doing dual-HD recordings.

I just realized as I was reading more about these motherboards that they doesn't have an onboard DVI output for the NVIDIA 6100. Both systems only have a VGA output.
    Is this a show stopper?
    Is there any way to get HD out of these systems? From what I understood, I needed to have a DVI output that I would then convert to HDMI to send to my TV.
    If there is only the one VGA output, is it impossible to do HD? Or is there another possible way to convert the output and keep it in HD quality (possibly something onboard)?

If so, can anyone point me to a barebones system that had DVI? Everything I have seen has only had VGA.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by bglaze1 View Post
    Thanks newlinux.
    Good to hear that it should be capable of doing dual-HD recordings.

I just realized as I was reading more about these motherboards that they doesn't have an onboard DVI output for the NVIDIA 6100. Both systems only have a VGA output.
    Is this a show stopper?
    Is there any way to get HD out of these systems? From what I understood, I needed to have a DVI output that I would then convert to HDMI to send to my TV.
    If there is only the one VGA output, is it impossible to do HD? Or is there another possible way to convert the output and keep it in HD quality (possibly something onboard)?

If so, can anyone point me to a barebones system that had DVI? Everything I have seen has only had VGA.
    I think this depends on your display. If your display has a native resolution of 1080 via the vga input than ok. For example my Syntax olevia has a 1080 resolution via component not via the dvi nor vga.
    Nothing is ever easy, but if it is difficult you must be doing it wrong.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by volkswagner View Post
    I think this depends on your display. If your display has a native resolution of 1080 via the vga input than ok. For example my Syntax olevia has a 1080 resolution via component not via the dvi nor vga.
    Yep, definitely depends on your display. On both HDTVs I can input the native resolution (which is the real resolution your display is capable of, regardless of what type of set it says it is) through VGA, but DVI and HDMI only support 480P, 720P, and 1080i (these sets are really 768p sets). On one of my sets, I prefer the VGA output to the DVI->HDMI output from my computer
    Linux & MythTV 4 Life
    Running ubuntu on an Atom 330, Atom D525, Turion 64 X2 TL-56, X2 3800, X2 4200, X2 4600, E2180, Core i5 450M, and a Core i7-2600
    My Hardware

Beans

Thanks newlinux and volkswagner.

Sorry, I am still a little confused. I guess I have always heard everyone say that you need to have DVI to have HD? I was under the impression that VGA couldn't put out as good of a signal. But this sounds like it can put out 1080p no problem. Do I need a HDTV with a VGA input? I don't even have one yet, but I want this to be ready for it when I do get it (hopefully sooner than later). Or is there some sort of VGA to HDMI or component in?

Also, newlinux, when you say that it depends on the native resolution through VGA, does that mean that different TVs have a max resolution they support through one input, and possibly a different max resolution through a VGA input?

If that is the case I would just need to make sure that I buy a 1080p VGA capable HDTV. What do you have? Or is that a pretty standard feature?

And when you say the sets are really 768p sets, you are talking about an actual TV not a computer monitor, right?

So it sounds like VGA out is actually preferrable to DVI out since it is more configurable as far as adjusting the resolution you want to output, would I be correct in saying that?
    Thanks again.
    Last edited by bglaze1; August 2nd, 2008 at 05:32 AM. Reason: fix typo

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by bglaze1 View Post
    Thanks newlinux and volkswagner.

Sorry, I am still a little confused. I guess I have always heard everyone say that you need to have DVI to have HD? I was under the impression that VGA couldn't put out as good of a signal. But this sounds like it can put out 1080p no problem. Do I need a HDTV with a VGA input? I don't even have one yet, but I want this to be ready for it when I do get it (hopefully sooner than later). Or is there some sort of VGA to HDMI or component in?

Also, newlinux, when you say that it depends on the native resolution through VGA, does that mean that different TVs have a max resolution they support through one input, and possibly a different max resolution through a VGA input?

If that is the case I would just need to make sure that I buy a 1080p VGA capable HDTV. What do you have? Or is that a pretty standard feature?

And when you say the sets are really 768p sets, you are talking about an actual TV not a computer monitor, right?

So it sounds like VGA out is actually preferrable to DVI out since it is more configurable as far as adjusting the resolution you want to output, would I be correct in saying that?
    Thanks again.
    Yep, if you don't want to buy a new vidcard get a set with a VGA (D-sub,PC input, sometimes they call them) input. Different TVs support different resolutions through different inputs. It's usually in the manuals. In all the TV's I've used, the VGA input accepts the native resolution (which generally gives you the best picture through VGA) . My TVs support 1280x768, 1024x768, 800x600 and 640x480 through the VGA input and 480p/i, 720p, and 1080i through HDMI/DVI inputs.

VGA can definitely output Hidef resolutions. What people are saying is the quality of VGA signal may be less. This depends on a lot of factors and in some cases VGA can be better - most people in most situations won't notice a difference.

Yes, I'm talking about and actual tv. It's native resolution is 1280x768, which is really 768p. 720p is the marketing term in these cases. 720p would be 1280x720.

Whether VGA is more desirable depends on your set. For me, on both of my HDTV sets support full native resolution through VGA. Some sets are different. VGA worked out of the box with no tweaking, just like my computer monitors.
    Linux & MythTV 4 Life
    My Hardware

Beans

Just for laughs I'll throw in my experience.

I'm using the Asus M2N-MX SE with a hi-def plasma display. Initially I used the onboard VGA with the VGA input on the plasma but I could not get the res higher than 1280x960. I wanted the full 1920x1080. To get it I had to buy a cheap video card (Nvidia 7300 LE chipset) that had a DVI output and hook that to a HDMI input on the display via a DVI-HDMI cable. Now it's perfect!

Beans

Re: Good Barebones deal for Myth TV System? - VGA vs. DVI

Thanks e00, from what I am learning, the VGA input is usually limited by your TV. So when you switched over to the DVI, you were able to get a great signal? That is good, I was considering using your motherboard. How have you liked yours? Do you know if that was a limitation on that motherboard's VGA output, or if it was, in fact, your TV's VGA input that limited the resolution?

Also, can anyone explain the following random thoughts:
    So I understand that the VGA signal can handle HD quality resolution. But since the VGA signal is actually an analog signal, and the DVI signal is a digital signal, what does this mean in terms of what MythTV is actually doing?

Am I going to need much more processing power to convert the digital HD stream to an analog VGA signal to output to my TV?

Will this add more delay when I am watching live TV (and thus more delay in changing channels)?

I assume that I have to at least lose some quality (but from the sounds of it, probably not a real noticeable amount).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

As newlinux mentioned you need to read the manual. All sets are not created equal. Don't ask the sales person. You will see a list of max resolutions for each input on the display. Just because the display is listed as 1080i or 1080p, does not mean all it's inputs are capable. Your card will default to the native resolution for the given input.

I found this the hard way. Both my DVI and VGA max at 1366x768. The component allows 1920x1080.

Buyer be informed.
    Nothing is ever easy, but if it is difficult you must be doing it wrong.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast