Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: windows user needs help

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

windows user needs help

Im sure this has been posted a billion times. Im a network admin testing out vmware. I run WINDOWS servers. i installed on my xp desktop- a virtual ubuntu server 8.04 or something. I follow a couple of suggestions when i browsed the forums. i installed gnome, and firefox. but when i do the startx it comes up - Fatal server error: could not open default font 'fixed'. also, when i do /etc/init.d/gdm start it comes up with *Starting GNOME Display Manager... [fail]

i installed samba, but have no idea what to do.

is this a bad install, whats going on? i may be a little SLOW on the linux side, but im trying. any help is appreciated.

Beans

Re: windows user needs help

I don't know if I can be of much help (I've never tried to run it in a vm on Windows), but here goes:

First off, Samba's not your issue. Samba is about sharing files between clients.

Your first error seems to imply that it can't find a specific font. I'm not really sure why that would prevent it from loading, though. I'm wondering if X doesn't have the right video hardware information from Windows? At any rate, I think that's the area for you to focus on.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Have you tried
    Code:
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
    . Aside from that my thinking is something to do with the virtual video card provided by M$

But yea I presume this is an issue Windows side. First, because it's far easier to blame M$ for all our problems. Second, "fail" isn't that much information to go on. But do try to reconfigure X and see if perhaps that helps a bit.

Also, I've been to lazy to actually delve into the server kernel, but perhaps it hasn't been compiled with your "virtual" video card in mind... but I really kinda doubt that, as I'm sure it's a most generic device.
    If it isn't broken, let's fix it anyways. What else are we going to do, seriously?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

The idea behind the linux server is that you administer it remotely, you don't have have a monitor and keyboard hooked up to it. Most of us just use the command line to do administration. Seeing as you are new to this you can install a full desktop from the command line. At the prompt type:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop
    This is a meta package that will install all the programs needed for a full gui. The above command will ask for your password, when you enter it, it won't echo back anything. This is to prevent shoulder surfers from getting your password.

Jim

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

i was just stating i didnt know how to start samba, or use it for that matter. how would i even check the video information provided by microsoft. i thought my only problem with virtualization was that you are "supposed" to need a cpu that supports it intel-v or amd-v, and most commonly they werent able to run virtual windows servers without the v-processor, but linux/unix should have no problems-- although i am already running a v-server2003 on my xp box. i did the reconfigure xorg but i didnt notice anything wrong. like i said, i am as new as they get to this. and YES i understand the reasoning behind a linux server - well, the reason i chose ubuntu was because it kinda meets halfway (or at least the desktop is). Graphical (I can operate ANYTHING with a gui), somewhat user friendly. if something doesnt work then u can always try the cli. im young as **** and i grew up on windows not DOS or the like kind. give me a break. at least im giving it a shot.

Beans

Hi again!

No need for "give me a break"... no-one said anything hostile as far as I can tell... they are trying to help you.

Did you install the desktop like cariboo907 suggested?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by NeoAnima83 View Post
    (I can operate ANYTHING with a gui).
    So can most of the breathing people on the planet. This probably isn't going to impress anyone here.

Now, as for your question, if all you need to do is have a platform for virtualization, you don't even need all this. VMware has just released their ESXi hypervisor for free, which is it's own OS. It has just a 32mb footprint, and does NOT need special hardware or processors.

http://www.vmware.com/products/esxi/#c62293

Seriously, you should do some research on virtualization, because you are just scraping the surface here and to really plan for what direction you want to go, you need to be better informed. Should you need any help, I will gladly do what I can.

-Tim
    Last edited by windependence; August 2nd, 2008 at 03:22 AM. Reason: add vmware link
    www.pcchopshop.net

Hard to find and obsolete PC and server parts. "If we can't find it, it probably doesn't exist"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

im definitely not trying to impress anyone other than my boss's. idk about the ESXi, i am running vmware server 1.0 on my xp desktop (just as test environment) with a server2003 and ubuntu. really my goal was to create SERVER space to hold windows files, by just going around the windows licensing. my main management program (TAM) will only work on windows, and the only way to get it to run on linux is by pushing the app via Citrix. I have an older version of citrix (not PS4) and dont know if i really want to make this move. the only reason to do that is to make sure i dont have to install vista on any new machines. im not super interested in server consolidation or linux, im just trying to get this setup to work, to have options.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

If all you need is a file server for *******, then Linux with SAMBA is the way to go, and run it headless. If you REALLY have to have a GUI, run a remote web config like WebMin, or SWAT from another machine. You can just create your shares and all the windows machines just see them as network shares, ******* doesn't know the difference.

When you say get around the license cost, if you could explain a little more what you are doing (what TAM does, etc) I may be able to give you some better advice. You may not even need Linux. Correct me if I'm wrong, you already have one ******* license?

-Tim
    www.pcchopshop.net

Hard to find and obsolete PC and server parts. "If we can't find it, it probably doesn't exist"

Beans

First off, VMware workstation on Windows has had problems configuring the correct card many times. Check the xorg.conf file, and look for what driver the card is using. First off, let's backup your existing xorg.conf in case things go bad.
    Code:
    cp /etc/x11/xorg.conf /
    Now open it for editing.
    Code:
    sudo vi /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    Look for the Driver listing under "Section Device"
    Try changing it to something like vga instead of what it is.

Once it is changed, type :wq! to exit and save.

If that doesn't work try the following:

Code:
    sudo apt-get clean
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get xfonts-base xfonts-100dpi xfonts-scalable
    If it says you already have them installed, use dpkg-reconfigure as yeaitsdark stated above except use it with the fonts package.

Hope it helps!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast