Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: windows user needs help

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: windows user needs help

TAM is my main management system developed by AppliedSystems Inc wwww.appliedsystems.com Yes i have windows licenses, my Entire environtment is windows. As my company grows and does acquisitions ( i believe i will have two more remote offices at the end of the year) i will need more machines. if i could use linux instead of windows and save on their licenses, that would be great. as for the server share, my current server has all 8 SAS drive slots in use and i dont have much room. i was thinking of hosting all of my mail (.pst) files on the v-server and having backup exec or ultra bac or acronis back it up to an LTO4 drive. I guess i could setup a v-server to use instead of exchange, would be nice, but i would have to invest in a little better box than my decent 2.6Ghz dual core with 2GB DDR2. so many options. i could vpn into work and do some of that code but ive been there all week, im waiting until monday. thanks for all the advice, i will post what happens. thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Ah, OK you are in the Insurance biz?

I was in the biz for 15 years and owned an Agency. Yeah, most of those agency management systems are highly Windoze centric, but there are some things you could move to linux, file storage, you could dump exchange for something like Zimbra, etc. If you let us know what you want to accomplish, I am sure we could help you here.

-Tim
    www.pcchopshop.net

Hard to find and obsolete PC and server parts. "If we can't find it, it probably doesn't exist"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

yes indeed insurance. i got the xbase-fonts and that seemed to work. i screwed up editing the xorg.conf file, and even though i had copied it, had no idea how to paste it, but i was able to download and overwrite that file, so no big deal. now i have a graphical desktop, and can surf the net, and a few things. somethings are still giving me errors. i need to just keep this setup and work with it. i downloaded a couple of .tar.gz files and have no idea how to install them. i am going to try and get beryl next. im thinking of testing out other flavors too, maybe knoppix, or gentoo. idk. its wierd, the ubuntu server has many problems, but the ubuntu desktop is running fine. i downloaded the cisco vpn client but i cant install it. thanks for the help.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Well the sever version doesn't <really> have problems as you are not supposed to be loading a GUI. Things like beryl were never intended to be run on server. The CLI is a completely different paradigm, and at first it is daunting and then later on you just "get it" and it all falls in place but you have to force yourself NOT to use the GUI or a web interface crutch. I know. I've been there.

-Tim
    www.pcchopshop.net

Hard to find and obsolete PC and server parts. "If we can't find it, it probably doesn't exist"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12