Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: already installed 32, need steps on installing windows and then 64 now.

Beans

Re: already installed 32, need steps on installing windows and then 64 now.

even if I run 8g - 2 is enough huh?

Is the windows partition #1, the swap partition #2 and the Ubuntu partion #3?

Are they given numberical value like that?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by PsychedelicWonders View Post
    even if I run 8g - 2 is enough huh?

Is the windows partition #1, the swap partition #2 and the Ubuntu partion #3?

Are they given numberical value like that?
    Yes, the more ram you have the more unlikely your swap space will even be used.

I'm not really sure about the numbers. I'm guessing windows will be the first partition on your harddrive and the ubuntu one the second.
    Your Ubuntu User number is # 15355

A must Read for anyone interested in Computer Programming.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

So if I want to mainly run Ubuntu... I should put the boot flag on that partition, not the windows one correct?
    No, absolutely not. Windows must be on a primary partition and needs the boot flag otherwise it won't boot. Linux can be on a primary partition or on a logical one - but that need not concern us at the moment. Ubuntu/Linux does not need the boot flag. The utility grub (grand unified bootloader) which will be installed when you install Ubuntu takes care of booting Ubuntu and doesn't need the boot flag. You will boot Windows from the grub menu, but grub is not booting Windows - it is merely handing the booting process over to Windows if you choose Windows at the grub menu.

To repeat: the Windows partition must have the boot flag set. Ubuntu/Linux is indifferent to whether or not the boot flag is set.

Beans

am I going to need to install all of my hardware drivers cds on xp pro?

This is a brand new build.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

I would imagine so - I've never had a win install that didn't need hardware drivers to be installed, contrary to popular belief it doesn't work ootb usually

Beans

how will i know what cds to use to install drivers and which ones are already ok?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by TreeFinger View Post
    Insert Windows install CD. Restart Computer. Boot from CD.

You will then create the partition that you would like to install windows on. First delete all current partitions (Make sure you have backed up your important data as it will all be gone). Then create a new NTFS partition (Whatever size you want available for windows). Now, install windows to that partition.

After you feel like installing ubuntu, insert the live CD and restart the computer. Boot into Live cd desktop to make sure everything is working correctly. Then install ubuntu using the shortcut on the desktop.

You will now need to create 2 more partitions. One will be where your Swap partition. The size of this depends on how much memory (RAM) you have. Make it equal or a few 100MBs above how much you have. After you create the 'swap' partition you now create a Primary partition for your Ubuntu install + files you will be saving. Using ext3 file system is probably the best choice. (And use the rest of available storage on your harddrive unless you plan on installing another distro)

Just make sure you do not delete the NTFS partition when installing ubuntu, that is where windows is located. GRUB will be automatically configured and when you reboot Ubuntu will be your default OS but if you want to boot Windows then just select it from the menu.
    will it prompt me to do the partitions? or am I going to have to right click anything?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

how will i know what cds to use to install drivers and which ones are already ok?
    Used to be check by right click my computer - properties - device manager - if there are any there with x or ? then they need sorting. But can't really remember how to deal with windows problems unless I have one in front of me.

will it prompt me to do the partitions? or am I going to have to right click anything?
    Will which prompt you - the win install or the buntu one.

Beans

the 2nd stage with ubuntu

Beans

Alright, uninstalled 32 with the cd and then partitioned the hdd for windows.

I installed xp pro and the service pack and a few other misc applications and games.

But when I tried to install 64, when I clicked start or run ubuntu, the screen turned black with a red box that said "RGB no Input signal" and then basically shut off, but didnt.

I tried a couple of times to do this... what is the problem? Windows works fine, so there isnt any problem with the connections.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast