Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Blizzard Asks Judge Stop Code from being released as Open Source

Beans

Blizzard Asks Judge Stop Code from being released as Open Source

quote from Mike Gunderloy :
    Now that I've got your attention, don't worry too much: Blizzard Entertainment, the company behind the popular World of Warcraft online game, isn't trying to shut down open source software entirely. But in a recent legal filing (reported by the Virtually Blind weblog), they are asking a judge to take an unusual move: prohibiting a developer from releasing a particular bit of code as open source. Read on for the details.
    http://ostatic.com/170141-blog/blizz...id-open-source
    Last edited by Sef; August 3rd, 2008 at 04:05 AM. Reason: Changed Title to Accurately reflect the article

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Blizzard Asks Judge to Forbid Open Source

You shouldn't scare people like that, jeez, I was worried blizzard has sided with Microsoft.
    blog ~~~ last.fm ~~~ twitter ~~~ digg
    Just so you know, everywhere else on the internet, I am known as mynameistux
    Its just a bunch of 1's and 0's.

Beans

its not a problem as if you have ever played warcraft the hunter bots (prebc) and some 3-5 man chain bots (now) are sooooo annoying and you cant get resources you need cos they are busy hogging all the spawn points. kill all botters and make the farmers eat the entrails is what i say.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Is it that bad a problem? They actually have to sue a company making a bot? I thought the most they could do would be is ban people.
    Lucid Beta 2 powered Studio 15 (Core 2 Duo 2.0GHz, 3 GB RAM, HD 3450) & Windows XP powered Scaleo E (Celeron D 3.06GHz, 1.5GB RAM, Intel GMA 915G). Please see Ubuntu Tutorials (my YouTube channel).

Beans

if it goes open souce then anyone can get it and use it... o how they love their precious virtual economies..

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Can't they just invest their money in their precious game to prevent botting? I could imagine a dialog box popping up after a task has been performed repeatedly. Alternatively, shift the game camera by 10-20 degrees now and then.
    Lucid Beta 2 powered Studio 15 (Core 2 Duo 2.0GHz, 3 GB RAM, HD 3450) & Windows XP powered Scaleo E (Celeron D 3.06GHz, 1.5GB RAM, Intel GMA 915G). Please see Ubuntu Tutorials (my YouTube channel).

Beans

Blizzard is a selfish and greedy company. That person has a right to release that code regardless of what Blizzard thinks.
    Just like a person has the right to sell their characters on eBay or make private servers.
    Blizzard is just corrupt and greedy bastards.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Is a bot really that hard to write? I mean, even Visual Basic "coders" can toss together decompilers in a relatively short time, so a bot would be the work of about a half an hour (five minutes if you actually know what you're doing).
    Help yourself: Ubuntu Docs - Ubuntu Packages

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Silpheed2K View Post
    Blizzard is a selfish and greedy company. That person has a right to release that code regardless of what Blizzard thinks.
    Just like a person has the right to sell their characters on eBay or make private servers.
    Blizzard is just corrupt and greedy bastards.
    I have to disagree with you there. Blizzard does have a right to try to block sharing code that has already been found to have improper interaction with their service. I don't play WoW but my roomies do and I've heard enough complaining about bots to know that Blizzard is right to ban them. If you're too damned lazy to actually play the game yourself to get the resources then maybe it's time to find a different game to play.

How about Hello Kitty Island Adventure?

As far as the open source angle goes, letting this code go FOSS would be as bad as malware writers going open source so that more asshats can cause trouble.
    For an OSX look check out Mac4Lin (updated support thread)
    Follow me on Twitter | My Blog
    The Search tool is your friend.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Quote Originally Posted by barbedsaber View Post
    You shouldn't scare people like that, jeez, I was worried blizzard has sided with Microsoft.
    they might as well.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast