Thread: Playing games on Virtual Machines?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Playing games on Virtual Machines?

Okay i have now been serching the forum, and now i am just going to ask.

Is it posibel to run 3D games (dx8-9) on any virtual machine, or do i really need to dual boot?

Okay i have been looking a bit on google, and found Cedega, so if sombody knows any thing about that it would be great
    Last edited by nisden; August 1st, 2008 at 01:32 PM. Reason: got more info ^^

Beans

Re: Playing games on Virtual Machines?

Quote Originally Posted by nisden View Post
    Okay i have now been serching the forum, and now i am just going to ask.

Is it posibel to run 3D games (dx8-9) on any virtual machine, or do i really need to dual boot?

Okay i have been looking a bit on google, and found Cedega, so if sombody knows any thing about that it would be great
    it depends on your RAM and processor.

most of the latest games require almost 2 gigs of ram for "recomended" performance, so you should have atleast 3 gigs of ram so you can allocate 2 gigs for windows an leave 1 gig for Ubuntu(which is more than enough) then you gotta see if your processor is good, again, most of the games now-a-days require atleast a dualcore for "recomended" performance, so it'd be good to have a tricore or quadcore an then you could manually set 2 processors just for windows an leave the other processor for Ubuntu.

plus you'd have to check your videocard an see if it meets the games requirements, but also if it has enough ram/cache overhead to run the VM itsself an Ubuntu.

im pretty sure it can be done.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

No it's not possible because the Virtual Machine Video Card is too simple. Even thought you may be able to install them performance will be slow, unless you have a monster computer (Quad Core, 4 GB RAM, $400 nVidia Graphics Card
    "In a world without walls and fences, who needs windows and gates?" Having trouble compiling drivers in a different kernel?, Dual Boot Tutorial Ubuntu Hardware Support List

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I have tried Cedega and many games are playable with Cedega. Cedega is a commercial solution which works closely with Wine. Pretty much it lets you run Windows Applications in Linux without using a Virtual Machine. However you have to pay for Cedega ($5/month last time I checked). Hope this helps!
    "In a world without walls and fences, who needs windows and gates?" Having trouble compiling drivers in a different kernel?, Dual Boot Tutorial Ubuntu Hardware Support List

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Only 'Vmware 6.5 Beta' could do 3d acceleration. But it's so unstable and slow, because it's still beta state.
    Read my review: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=846675

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Well okay seems like i am going to dual boot for the hardcore games and then rest il try in wine It should say in my signature what laptop i just bought

Beans
    Hidden!

Wow, Nvidia Geforce 9600M GT 512mbDDR3 on a laptop?

That is a monster!

Lucky boy .