Thread: Read and write permissions on an mp3 player

Beans

Read and write permissions on an mp3 player

Hello , I bought an mp3 player ,Crypto UM-360 4GB ,and loaded with songs normally by drag and drop , but also by Rythmbox music player.Now the problem is that I can't delete some songs from the player.I've created folders and arranged them by the genre ,but it says that the file is a read only file.
    I logged in as root but the problem still exists.I've tried to create an insertion by editing fstab , there's no entry for this disk in fstab ,adding the following:UUID=B8F2-7D6A /media/disk vfat uid=1000 gid=1000,rw,force,noauto,locale=el_GR.utf8 00 but the system recognised it as an unmount volume with no privileges and cannot mount it also as root.
    Does anyone has an idea for solution ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Read and write permissions on an mp3 player

Remove that line from your /etc/fstab and then reboot your system. With the device plugged in, run following commands and post the output here:

Code:
    sudo fdisk -l
    mount
    This will just show how the device is recognized and mounted, and allow to have a hint of what could be wrong. My first guess is that it is a fat formatted device and that there is an inconsistency with the fat file system, which can be corrected by checking the file system.

Beans

The line that concerns this device is:
    /dev/sdc on /media/disk-1 type vfat (rw,nosuid,nodev,uhelper=hal,shortname=mixed,uid=1 000,utf8,umask=077,flush)
    The edited line in fstab i've already deleted as I saw that things were getting worst than better.
    Probably is the type of file system that the device uses and don't work nice with Ubuntu , but (I forgot write it before) , the device has an option to delete a song through the device's menu and neither I can do that.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

File system is vfat (fat32) and Linux can work perfecty with that. I guess that inconsistencies in the file system are causing the issues. You need to check and repair the file system.

Beans

Sorry but now I saw the difference.It says ''read only filesystem '' and not ''read only file'' , so something is happening with the vfat filesystem.
    Do you have any idea how I can check and repair it?
    I google it and installed Testdisk by Synaptic but I can't launch it as there isn't any icon in the menu , and writing ''testdisk'' in run programm application neither do something.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

The command "dosfsck" is the counterpart of ms Windows' "chkdsk" for checking and optionally repairing fat volumes.