Thread: VMing existing XP onto VirtualBox harmed XP

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

VMing existing XP onto VirtualBox harmed XP

So a little bit ago, I reformatted my computer because I had to much junk on it. I installed XP first, followed by Ubuntu of course. I use XP for video games and SolidWorks. Anyways, I wanted to get my existing XP install working under Ubuntu, so I ran it under VirtualBox.

On my computer, I partition my drives out, so I have a partition just for XP, a partition for my work, my games, and so on. I have my hard drives running in SATA mode, not IDE. Had to slipstream drivers into XP install.

I also got already the issues with XP registering by having two profiles (VM and Native). When I ran XP under VirtualBox, it would not let me access the other drives, though it could see that something was there.

I then booted into Windows natively, and VirtualBox screwed all my partitions around. No link worked, software did not know where it was; basically painful to work with.

When I did not want to have a pain in the *** of fixing it, so I reformatted it and here I am again. Thinking of trying it again. But before I do, does anyone have any insight into this issue? Sorry for the long post.
    HOWTO: Lightscribe work from Menu (SCRIPT)
    Howto: Make Conky display information on different parts of screen
    Specs:Intel Core 2 Duo 2.13 @ 3.2 GHz | Nvidia GeForce 7900 GT | 2 GBs Ram | 640 GB - HDD
    All watercooled and overclocked!!!

Beans

Re: VMing existing XP onto VirtualBox harmed XP

Maybe jsut make another install for virtual, with shared folder, atleast this way you wont need to boot down.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: VMing existing XP onto VirtualBox harmed XP

What exactly do you mean shared folder? Are you saying make an image of each drive and placing in a shared thing?

Before I learned about VirtualBox, I was using VMWare Server and created a "VM" of existing windows. When I would go into the VM it would see all the connected hard drives and everything. Is there an option or something in VirtualBox to do that?
    HOWTO: Lightscribe work from Menu (SCRIPT)
    Howto: Make Conky display information on different parts of screen
    Specs:Intel Core 2 Duo 2.13 @ 3.2 GHz | Nvidia GeForce 7900 GT | 2 GBs Ram | 640 GB - HDD
    All watercooled and overclocked!!!