OK, looks like that did it, no more could not resolve errors!!
Just as a side note i had to add:
But I wanted to know can I do this instead:Code:22.214.171.124 us.archive.ubuntu.com 126.96.36.199 security.ubuntu.com
Seems to be working ok, just curious in case something changes in the future with the sub-domains, I don't want to be left guessing!!Code:188.8.131.52 *.ubuntu.com
Again, thanks for all the help, always find what I need on here!!
I don't think you even need the wildcard. I think
will work just fine. You could even leave the other entries. Won't hurt anything.Code:184.108.40.206 ubuntu.com
BTW, glad to help. Keeps my skills sharp.
Hmmmm, doesn't appear to work if i just put in 'ubuntu.com' for some reason, although I, just like you, thought that should work. Not complaining though, just glad I found a workaround, thanks again!!
Well I wasn't sure about it. Now we know.
Glad you got it worked out.
i was having this problem as well and followed what you suggested about editing the /etc/hosts file - it worked. but this means for me that i am not communicating with a dns server at all - as this is a list for matching ip to a name. what do you think? i am using a ATT dsl router that acts as a gateway and DNS resolver i updated with apt-get update but can ping anyone.
I had this exact problem, and thought it silly that there wasn't a simple fix.
I checked my network config, and saw that I hadn't hooked up the server to the gateway on my router (don't ask me why my DHCP server isn't handling this: let's just say cheap router).
I set the correct value, restarted my networking, and it all just worked.
Yes, I'm dumb - but thought this might help some
I was able to solve this problem by doing a dhcp release/dhcp renew on my router. Everything works great after that
Since you brought the thread back up, I need to make a correction as well. The DNS server I quoted should be 220.127.116.11, NOT 18.104.22.168. You can use 22.214.171.124 thru 126.96.36.199.