Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trojan

Beans

Trojan

Hi Guys. I have vista and ubuntu on an dual boot. I enabled wine to use some program's, one of the program's was Spybot SD it informed me that I have an trojan ( Win32. Small. FB <Winsock> IP } on ubuntu I did a virus scan and Spybot on Vista and it comes up clean. Could this be a false positive?; and if not how do I fix this please Your's Gunner

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Trojan

Spybot SD is designed to scan WINDOWS files and look for problems, I'm not suprised it gave you a false positive as it isn't really designed to scan a linux system...
    Allons-y Alonzo! - The Dr.
    Is that what Time Lords do? Lop a bit off, and grow another one. You're like worms! - Donna Noble
    The world is a mess... and I just need to... Rule it. - Dr. Horrible

Beans

Hi Neurostu. I enabled Wine, that allow's you to use Windows program's does it not? Gunner

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Where does Spybot say the Trojan is located on your file system?

If you have brought files from windows into Ubuntu they could have this attached or maybe in email files?

Is it in your Wine folder? Never the less I doubt it could have any effect on your core Ubuntu system.

Unusual find/situation anyway????
    Castles Made of Sand,
    Fall in the Sea,
    Eventually!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Yes, Wine allows you to RUN windows programs in LINUX. Wine is not an emulator or a Virtual Machine, it essentially provides the libraries windows programs need to run and allows them to run natively in linux.

Spybot SD is designed to scan files and find traces of malware. However, the way that malware works is going to be different in linux and windows as windows and linux are completely different and have differing ways of doing things. So what may look like malware in windows could be completely fine code in linux.

So while you may be able to get Spybot to run in Wine it is a waste of time. For example Spybot scans the system Registery looking for fishy entries... linux doesn't use a registery like windows so Spybot wont have a registery to scan and will probably register and error because of that.

Trust me... you don't want to run Spybot under linux. You can run it in windows... but running it under wine in linux is really a waste of time and resources.

If you want to install virus scan software for your linux OS you can but a windows based virus scanner just won't work.
    Is that what Time Lords do? Lop a bit off, and grow another one. You're like worms! - Donna Noble

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

check out AVG for Linux: http://free.avg.com/ww.download?prd=afl

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

It might be detecting a wine library as virus, since the wine libraries en ~/.wine are not the official windows ones. Thus Spybot might think it is not secure. if you want to install antivirus/antimalware in linux install clamav.
    check out AVG for Linux: http://free.avg.com/ww.download?prd=afl
    I don't know, AVG has failed me a lot of times before

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I just noticed that Spybot is reported at WineHQ as an app that works... I have no clue why they do this b/c there is absolutely no reason to wine Spybot with Wine in Linux.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by gunner ra View Post
    Hi Neurostu. I enabled Wine, that allow's you to use Windows program's does it not? Gunner
    Wine might be able to get Spybot to run, but it won't work properly. Spybot is designed to inspect and check a Windows system, not a Linux one.

If you stick to installing software from the repositories (and don't add untrusted repos) there's no chance of Ubuntu getting any kind of spyware. So you don't need Spybot anyway.

As for other malware (such as viruses), you don't need any special software. Keeping up-to-date with your security updates takes care of the risk completely. Virus scans, like defrags, are one of those annoying Windows maintenance tasks that you won't miss after you've been using Linux for a while.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by neurostu View Post
    I just noticed that Spybot is reported at WineHQ as an app that works... I have no clue why they do this b/c there is absolutely no reason to wine Spybot with Wine in Linux.
    Possibly to check a Windows partition. Not sure how well that would work. Might be interesting to try, though.

I recently had to deal with a severe infection on a Windows PC. Luckily it was a dual-boot so that I could do enough repair work from within Ubuntu that it would boot into Win and run it's own scanning tools. Linux can be a very handy tool for fixing Windows system. I know Windows power users who keep LiveCD distros like the System Rescue CD around for that reason.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast