Thread: The startup theme...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Question The startup theme...

I installed the KDE in my Ubuntu computer. Everytime I start the computer with Ubuntu, I get the Kubuntu startup/shutdown theme (NOT in the login screen). Also the theme of the GRUB boot menu has changed into the Kubuntu theme that has a dark highlight bar, and the background color is black.

How can I change the startup/shutdown theme from Kubuntu back to Ubuntu?
    And how can I change the theme of the GRUB boot menu?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: The startup theme...

If you mean the usplash screen, normally the enlarging orange bar with the word ubuntu above, you can get it back by using command
    Code:
    sudo update-alternatives --config usplash-artwork.so
    in terminal and choosing which one you want. Interestingly whenever I used it it didn't change both the startup and shutdown but just one (can't remember which) so I got the one back that I wanted by uninstalling the other one with synaptic. Do a search for usplash if you want to do the same to get you ubuntu usplash back.

About the grub part, I can't help as I thought the two systems were the same, just showing a simple menu on black background unless you changed it yourself. I didn't think there was a grub theme at all in either. For some possibly useful info look at the txt file attached.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

You can change upsplash themes with Startup-Manager. Install it via synaptic. It will be in System-Administration. Additional themes can also be installed via synaptic.
    If it jams, force it. If it breaks, it needed replacing anyway. . .
    I like Unity.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

The Startup manager really helped. Not only can I change the usplash theme, but I can also change the text and background colors. Thanks for your help, guys.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

It comes in real handy. BTW if you ever have to edit menu.lst try QGRUBEditor. Also really easy to use.
    If it jams, force it. If it breaks, it needed replacing anyway. . .
    I like Unity.