Thread: Sudden network problems

Beans

Sudden network problems

For some months I've been working with Ubuntu, until now with relatively little problems.

Yesterday I sudddenly started to experience big problems with the network connectivity and speed. I am not aware of any big changes I made to the system.

Problems encountered:

* Pidgin connects sporadically. Sometimes I'm able to send messages, but most of the time it is trying to connect.
    * Internet is very slow, independent from what browser I use. Sometimes it connects to a website, but then stops loading it half way.
    * The network page of my router shows the same behaviour as internet. It takes very long to connect to the page and then doesn't load everything.
    * 95% of the time when I try to send an email with Thunderbird, it times out when connecting to the SMTP.

Connection speed: under 1kb. Sometimes it goes up to 50kb, but that lasts 1 second and happens very sporadically.

When I started up the system this morning it worked well for around 10 minutes.

- Signal strength ~80%. As good as before
    - Disabling ipv6 does not work
    - Emptying cache also no result

Could anybody give me a tip what I can do to determine what's wrong? (or even better, solve the problem )

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Sudden network problems

The first thing I'd try is changing the channel your wireless router uses.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Sudden network problems

I'd also reset the router. (Unplug it for 30 seconds, plug it back in.)