Thread: [SOLVED] Hardy: how to disable AppArmor????

Beans

Question [SOLVED] Hardy: how to disable AppArmor????

It seems that Hardy has silently introduced AppArmor and now I am unable to run mysql like I want anymore. The problem is that obviously AppArmor prevents mysql from using files that reside on a different disk.

However, because of size and backup considerations I need to have parts of mysql on various other disks!

I am desperately trying to re-create the installation I had running under Gutsy under a freshly installed Hardy and this is one of the major stumbling blocks!

I also read that there are problems with cups and AppArmor -- so instead of tinkering with it, can I just disable it entirely? I definitely dont need it, thank you very much.

Beans

Re: Hardy: how to disable AppArmor????

You can disable the AppArmor framework with (from AppArmor: Ubuntu Community Documentation):
    Code:
    sudo /etc/init.d/apparmor kill
    sudo update-rc.d -f apparmor remove
    Haven't tried it myself. Instead, I just purged all AppArmor packages. Didn't have any problems, but I haven't been using mySQL.

Beans

[Solved] Re: Hardy: how to disable AppArmor????

Thank you that did it.

Beans

Re: [SOLVED] Hardy: how to disable AppArmor????

I ended up here having the same trouble as the threadstarter (mysql db on non-default location).

I wanted to add that you can instead set mysql to complain mode in apparmor, which will allow but log instead of blocking (default).

sudo aa-complain /usr/sbin/mysqld

This will result in a working mysql and apparmor.

Beans

Re: [SOLVED] Hardy: how to disable AppArmor????

Thanks for the sudo aa-complain suggestion.

How would I put this in my startup sequence so I don't have to type this each time? I've never messed with init.d before, but I think that's where I would go.