Thread: HOWTO: Play DVD's from hard disk

Beans

HOWTO: Play DVD's from hard disk

Someone has maybe noticed that MPlayer and Xine won't always play DVD's correctly from the hard drive.

Solution is Totem-Xine. Choose 'Open Location' from the programs and choose the path to the movie where the AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS are. Now your DVD should play correctly.

To play DVD-image, you should mount it with -o loop.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

Re: HOWTO: Play DVD's from hard disk

try to install VLC
    sudo apt-get install vlc-*

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Humanoid
    Someone has maybe noticed that MPlayer and Xine won't always play DVD's correctly from the hard drive.

Solution is Totem-Xine. Choose 'Open Location' from the programs and choose the path to the movie where the AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS are. Now your DVD should play correctly.

To play DVD-image, you should mount it with -o loop.
    I tried that and I get an error msg "Totem could not play 'file:///home/rsx/Movies/Batman/VIDEO_TS.BUP'. There is no plugin to handle this movie." Any ideas?

I have libdvdcss2 installed already, I can play each individual .vob files but just can't watch them all as a movie.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by RSX311
    I tried that and I get an error msg "Totem could not play 'file:///home/rsx/Movies/Batman/VIDEO_TS.BUP'. There is no plugin to handle this movie." Any ideas?

I have libdvdcss2 installed already, I can play each individual .vob files but just can't watch them all as a movie.
    You have this directory /Batman. Is there AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS directories under it? Seems like it's trying to open just VIDEO_TS.BUP but I think it requires these two directories. Try it out.

(Normal DVD's haven't got .BUP and .VOB files in the root directory)

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Humanoid
    You have this directory /Batman. Is there AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS directories under it? Seems like it's trying to open just VIDEO_TS.BUP but I think it requires these two directories. Try it out.

(Normal DVD's haven't got .BUP and .VOB files in the root directory)
    oh I think you're right, all the files are just under /Batman, I'll move it under /Batman/VIDEO_TS

Thanks!