Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Podcast Seasion 1 Episode 11

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Podcast Seasion 1 Episode 11

In the eleventh Ubuntu Podcast from the UK LoCo team, Ciemon Dunville, Alan Pope, Dave Walker and Tony Whitmore present interviews recorded at LUGRadio Live 2008, hardware reviews, discussion and news alfresco style.

http://podcast.ubuntu-uk.org/2008/07...in-in-the-wind

In this episode:-

* Discussion:
    * Pete Stean reviews the Advent 4211 (MSI Wind)
    * A review of the Viglen MPC-L - which we're also giving away. We also give details about how you can get the Viglen MPC-L for £80
    * Sarcastic News
    * A great interview with Andy Robinson and Etienne Cherdlu from OpenStreetMap
    * Some listener feedback.

* Competition:
    * We announce the winner of the Efficient PC 'Wraith'
    * We start a new competition where we give the Viglen MPC-L All you need to do is follow the instructions in the show to be in with a chance of winning this cracking tiny PC.

Comments and suggestions are welcomed to: podcast@ubuntu-uk.org
    Up to 30 seconds of voicemail can be left at +44 (0) 845 508 1986
    Follow our twitter feed http://twitter.com/uupc
    Follow us on Identi.ca http://twitter.com/uupc

Beans

Re: Podcast Seasion 1 Episode 11

Is anyone else having trouble contacting Viglen with regard to purchasing one of these PCs at the reduced price? I've sent them several e-mails now and haven't had a single response.

Beans
    Distro

When did you mail them? If over a weekend then it could be that they aren't in the office.

I have had a reply and have given payment details, and as I understand it I am not alone.
    Last edited by popey; August 10th, 2008 at 09:43 AM.

Beans

I sent them an e-mail last Sunday, and then a follow-up during the week. It's encouraging to hear that some people have managed to get a response though. I shall try again (perhaps from another account this time).

Beans
    Distro

Yeah, there was some confusion at Viglen initially, but this should be sorted now.

Beans

Would this MPC-L be a good frontend for mythtv? Using the Mythbuntu installation that also has XFCE as the basis?

Beans
    Distro

It's certainly small enough to hide behind a TV, but I dont know if it has the grunt to be able to do mythtv. I'll have a go when mine arrives

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by popeydc View Post
    It's certainly small enough to hide behind a TV, but I dont know if it has the grunt to be able to do mythtv. I'll have a go when mine arrives
    Please do let me know, because that would be ideal to use for the extra tv in the bedroom!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by popeydc View Post
    I bet it would work well as a thin client - isn't Mythbuntu set up as an LTSP server? With a good gigabit network, it's the perfect solution for MythTV: keep the noisy powerful machine in another room, and use a cheap machine with no hard drive or fans (and therefore no noise). Plus, it's a lot easier to maintain and update.

If you don't want to install Mythbuntu on your main machine, you could try running a VM. I've had good luck using a Ubuntu LTSP server in a VMware virtual machine, though I've never tried to play back HD video.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Balachmar View Post
    Please do let me know, because that would be ideal to use for the extra tv in the bedroom!
    Unless I misread the specs, there is no TV out on the thing. So I don't know how you plan on using this with a TV as the display. By the way, on a brighter note, it seems that Viglen now ships this with an 80 GB HD as default instead of 40 GB.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast