Thread: I got my mother using Ubuntu! =O

Beans

I got my mother using Ubuntu! =O

My mother was fed up with Windows XP running like crap all the time and having problems with her wireless, so I offered to install Ubuntu for her and she said "whatever works." So, I gave it a shot.

Her PC is only a P3 1.0ghz with 256mb of ram. Unfortunately, I didn't want to install a lightweight WM for her because it'd be too different than what she's used to, so I stuck with GNOME. It runs decent. Not great, but decent (better than XP haha)

Then I realized she had a Linksys wireless card. Ugh. I felt accomplished after getting it to work properly with ndiswrapper after a half hour or so.

But yeah, she's liking Linux so far. She likes the idea it's made by the community, not a monopolistic company. She likes the idea of no adware, spyware, or viruses.

+1 to Linux. Only one more PC in my house to go before we're Microsoft free (my sister's. yeah, that's not ever happening. she thinks Linux is the plague)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: I got my mother using Ubuntu! =O

get rid of your sister then

nah, just kidding

but good to hear your mother likes ubuntu. i have my mother dualboot her notebook and most of the time she uses linux. if she does not know how to do something she boots into windows
    E2140@3120MHz, 2x2048MB DDR2-1170, 8800GT, 150GB WD-Raptor

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by NilsHG View Post
    get rid of your sister then
    Believe me, I wish I could! heh, she should be moving out of state soon anyway.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 14.04 Trusty Tahr

you did a great job. I hope her PC will booting faster, and also you should tell her to use Open office insted of MS Office.

Beans

Yep, I told her what application does what, how to use virtual deskspaces and everything. I'm thinking of switching metacity with openbox for her. She wont notice the difference, but wouldn't it run noticeably faster?

Beans

Great job pal.
    My linux registered number-438221
    Use Zenwalk, its SMALL and SEXY and VERY SLIM distro. Its very fast. I love it.
    Zenwalk.org

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I suppose you looked in Sessions and closed down any unnecessary startup processes?

Also, isn't there a lighter word processer that comes with Xubuntu - Abiword? Might work better.

Beans

Install xubuntu on that box.

It should run a bit faster than gnome.

Or use fluxbox with the gnome-panel or fbpanel or something.

You can "tweak" fluxbox to have desktop icons and with a panel, she won't be able to tell the difference.
    (maybe even disable the right-click menu on the desktop).

Fluxbox will fly on older hardware.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I recently got the call to replace Windows on my folks PC after a couple of months of them using Ubuntu.

They just missed all their familiar old ways.