Thread: [SOLVED] Compiz Vs Pidgin :: Grrrr..

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

[SOLVED] Compiz Vs Pidgin :: Grrrr..

Hey,

I use compiz's "placement" function - I like all my windows to drop in the center of the screen (I'm a bit OCD like that).

Though when I close pidgin to the system tray - then open it back up, it drops it in the center of the screen!

There any way I can either:
    A) Create an exception for certain windows in compiz (I checked the settings for the "put" option, but none that I could tell to that effect.
    B) Make pidgin dock so it'll always snap to that side of the screen?

Hehe.

I like my pidgin window docked on the right side of my screen, but I like all my windows that pop-up to pop-up in the center. Ahh, there has to be some way I can create an exception in compiz.

Anybody?
    I don't believe in bad operating systems, simply that certain operating systems are better at doing certain things.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Compiz Vs Pidgin :: Grrrr..

moved to Desktop Effects & Customization

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

*Bump.

How am I the only one with this problem?
    I don't believe in bad operating systems, simply that certain operating systems are better at doing certain things.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

How did you manage to get them to all go in the middle?

Depending on how you did that, you could try to:

Open "Place" plugin for compiz, go to the "Fixed Window Placement" tab and put:

title=Buddy List
    x = 2
    y = 24 (or whatever..)

for the left side of the screen.
    I try my best.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by DaymItzJack View Post
    How did you manage to get them to all go in the middle?

Depending on how you did that, you could try to:

Open "Place" plugin for compiz, go to the "Fixed Window Placement" tab and put:

title=Buddy List
    x = 2
    y = 24 (or whatever..)

for the left side of the screen.
    I got them all did that by using the placement option to drop all windows in the center.

I set it fixed, title=Buddy List with X at max (slider all the way to the right) and Y at min (slider all the way to the left) and it worked 100%.

Thank you very much!

EDIT:
    For other people looking at this:
    Once you select the "Fixed Window Placement" tab in the "Place Windows" feature of compiz, select "New" under "Windows with fixed positions," a dialog will pop up. In the dialog, click the plus sign to add a new feature, for Type, select "Window Title," and for value, type in "Buddy List" (no quotes), leave the other default values and hit "Add." Then the two sliders are for X and Y coordinates, for all the way on the left side, slide the X slider all the way to the left, and opposite for the right side. Remember, if you want it justified to the top, make sure the Y slider is at the minimum.
    Last edited by Syndacate; August 1st, 2008 at 12:05 AM.