Thread: Compiz just broke

Beans
    Hidden!

Compiz just broke

This is an interesting problem. I got home from work, ran the updates that were available, then ran "GL Desktop." At this point Compiz crashed, and the system slowed to the point of being unusable. I use CTRL-ALT-BKSP to get back the the GDM window and reboot. Now whenever I try to enable Compiz, the system starts to crawl. Not sure what I did, but if anyone has any ideas to get Compiz back up and running, I would be eternally grateful.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Compiz just broke

Compiz wouldn't have broken if u hadn't done something wrong.I'm an absolute noob but what I could tell u is
    use

sudo apt-get remove compiz

and then

re-install compiz frm Add/Remove.

Beans
    Hidden!

Thanks for the reply fib, but I already did that three times. I ran "sudo apt-get remove --purge compiz* libcompizconfig* -s" to find all the packages for compiz and removed them all with apt-get. Each time I re-install, and try to re-enable Compiz, it crashes. I know things just don't break by themselves, but maybe it was an update from today?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Alright

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

This happened to me today after downloading updates, at the login screen, I selected options, changed my session to xclient (sp), and then logged in, and all is fine.
    Never wade in water you're afraid to swim in unless it's the Linux pond, cause there's always a life ring in the forums

Beans
    Hidden!

I seem to have gotten it working, more-or-less. I removed the package "compiz" (all the others were related to compiz-fusion, so I figured that was a deprecated package), and immediately things started to speed up. I then rebooted and logged in using xclient script as gettinoriginal suggested, and everything seems back to normal now minus the fact that I don't have compiz running on startup. I am going to add it to the sessions in a few minutes, but am curious to what runtime parameters to use. I think that --indirect-rendering should be in there since my video card is an ATI Radeon 9200SE, but are there any others that may improve performance?