Thread: Linux certification info

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Lightbulb Linux certification info

Guys,
    Here's the info I was discussing in IRC tonight:

http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/li...AGX03&S_CMP=LP

This is the free training materials for the Linux Professional Institute (LPI for short) certifications. I'm taking the LPI-101 test tomorrow morning, and hope to take the LPI-102 to complete my LPIC-1 certification within a few weeks.

The one thing you won't find there is the necessary materials for the LPI-199 test for Ubuntu Certified Professional. I bought a book on that off of eBay for $28. I'll have my UCP by the first of October if I can help it.

If anyone has any questions, please hit me up.

- Dave (aka myrtlebeachbums)
    I support my bad habits with the money I save using open source software.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Linux certification info

now, that sounds like something I would be interested in. I don't know how successful I will be but I will definitely check it out further, and yes xarquid, I did fall asleep!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by recluse2 View Post
    now, that sounds like something I would be interested in. I don't know how successful I will be but I will definitely check it out further, and yes xarquid, I did fall asleep!
    I should mention that for those that have the skills, the place where I work is always looking for unix/linux admins and security analysts. Knowledge of Unix/Linux, TCP/IP, and such is a lot of what they look for. They've got offices in Atlanta, Chicago, and Myrtle Beach. Pay's decent too. If anyone's interested, private message me and I can tell you more.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

First off - I passed the LPI 101 exam today. I am far from happy with my score, but I'm also someone with high testing expectations after 4.0'ing my Masters in Network Security. The important thing is it doesn't matter what score I passed it with as long as I passed, which I did.

Here's the break down of sections they test on:
    - Devices, Linux Filesystems, Filesystem Heirarchy Standards
    - Hardware and Architecture
    - Linux Installation and Package Management
    - The X Windows System
    - GNU and Unix Commands

I can't stress it enough that you need to read over and and know the LPI 101 study materials on the IBM developer web or from some similar LPI study guide. I've been using Linux for nine years, and I learned some things reading those materials over.

I can't divulge any specific questions as part of the NDA they make you agree to, but I will tell you that the Hardware and Architecture was, to me, the hardest part. There were some odd questions that threw me off. One asked about how to look up the specific settings for what I would consider to be a legacy port. I honestly had no clue. I still don't, but I'll find out just to satisfy my curiosity.

I'll be taking the LPI-102 next, but unlike the LPI-101 I won't be rushing it. I'll pass it if it kills me though.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Congrats

I'm also LPI 1 certified (101 and 102)

And I also passed the LPI 199 exam (you might want that one too) which is the Ubuntu Certified professional.

If you have the chance and you work with Linux, get certified
    "You Live by the Code, You Die by the Code."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Tiger View Post
    Congrats

And I also passed the LPI 199 exam (you might want that one too) which is the Ubuntu Certified professional.

First off - congratulations on getting certified!

I've got the LPI 101 down, and am currently reading up in preparation for the LPI 102.

I've got a book to study for the LPI-199 test. Frankly my attraction to the LPI certifications was the fact that I could take the LPI-199 to become a UCP.

What was your impression of the LPI-199 exam?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Tiger View Post
    Congrats

Is there a general Linux test that is not just "Ubuntu" -- the command structures are entirely different from Debian based systems to let's say Red Hat based systems. I know, from experience, most enterprises and organizations will favor RedHat (Fedora/CentOS or even plain ole RedHat) over Debian-based OSes. The commands are quite different and so is the layout of the land, so to speak.

Does the test certification really state "Ubuntu Certification"?

Thanks,

- C

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

There's a hierarchy to it...

You have to take the LPI101 and LPI102 to qualify to take the Ubuntu Certified Professional.

The LPI exams are general linux. The UCP exam is Ubuntu only.

http://www.lpi.org/index.php/eng/cer...d_professional

Did you know that dolphins are so intelligent that within only hours of being placed in captivity, they can train humans to stand at the side of the pool and throw fish to them?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by xarquid View Post
    Is there a general Linux test that is not just "Ubuntu" -- the command structures are entirely different from Debian based systems to let's say Red Hat based systems. I know, from experience, most enterprises and organizations will favor RedHat (Fedora/CentOS or even plain ole RedHat) over Debian-based OSes. The commands are quite different and so is the layout of the land, so to speak.

Does the test certification really state "Ubuntu Certification"?

Thanks,

- C
    You can take the LPI-101 and LPI-102 to be LPI Level 1 certified. The LPI certification is distro agnostic. You can also proceed to LPI level's 2 and 3 without taking the LPI-199 to become an Ubuntu Certified Professional.

I will tell you that having taken the LPI-101 exam, you do need to know both rpm and apt/dpkg commands. Knowing just one will leave you short on answering some exam questions.

Beans

Question Re: Linux certification info

Quote Originally Posted by bushda View Post
    You can take the LPI-101 and LPI-102 to be LPI Level 1 certified. The LPI certification is distro agnostic. You can also proceed to LPI level's 2 and 3 without taking the LPI-199 to become an Ubuntu Certified Professional.

I will tell you that having taken the LPI-101 exam, you do need to know both rpm and apt/dpkg commands. Knowing just one will leave you short on answering some exam questions.

According to what i read,
    there are quite a few books from amazon for LPIC 1,
    1 book for LPIC 1&2,
    and none for LPIC-3(not even IBM LPI exam prep covers 302).

So, How easy or difficult is it to be certified as LPIC 1,2&3 ?

would like to hear from some positive experiences ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast