Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Linux certification info

Quote Originally Posted by goowealth View Post
    According to what i read,
    there are quite a few books from amazon for LPIC 1,
    1 book for LPIC 1&2,
    and none for LPIC-3(not even IBM LPI exam prep covers 302).

So, How easy or difficult is it to be certified as LPIC 1,2&3 ?

would like to hear from some positive experiences ...

I'm using the stuff from IBM for my LPIC 1 studying, and I bought a book to study for LPI-199 because I couldn't find anything free for that test prep.

I've only taken and passed LPI-101 so far, and I found the test somewhat difficult because of some of the ancient technologies I was asked about. For example, what command would you use to find out the port settings for a serial port? Don't know, and probably haven't cared since 1999 when I first got broadband.

LPI-102 seems to be slightly easier, but only because I'm more familiar with the material there.

I can fill you in on LPIC-2 when I get there later this year.

I may be totally wrong here, but I think the majority of people stop at LPIC-2. While I'm interested in persuing LPIC-3, I don't know if I'll get there. I have heard that it is fairly difficult. That one will wait until I take the CISSP, and if work's still paying for it the RHCE.
    I support my bad habits with the money I save using open source software.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Just wanted to add two links with sample exams for LPI 1 that I found to be quite close to the real thing:

http://www.penguintutor.com/cgi-bin/quiz/index.pl
    http://www.linux-praxis.de/lpisim/lpi.html

The second website requires (free) registration and doesn't offer you a review of your answers nor shows you the correct answers, so that's a bit of drawback.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Thanks for all of the info in this thread. Once I get more comfortable in Linux, I'll be doing this also.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I've been so busy I forgot to post that I passed the LPI 101 and 102 to achieve my LPI level 1 certification about a month ago. LPI-199 for my Ubuntu Certified Professional is still on the board for me, but I don't know when as my work has me in Atlanta until probably the second week of December.

I will say that these tests were no cake walk. I've done a lot of certification tests over the years, and I would rank these as being the most challenging I've taken yet. You do have to know your stuff to take these.

Make sure you know the study materials inside and out before attempting to take these or you will be throwing money away.
    I support my bad habits with the money I save using open source software.

Beans

Free LPI exam practice site

IT Exam Practice is a portal for online exams (including LPI exams) that is built and maintained by a network of volunteers. It exists to serve the IT community and help people worldwide freely test their IT skills. IT Exams are built up in a truly collaborative fashion where anyone may propose new content/questions and teams of qualified exam administrators and moderators approve or reject it on the basis of merit - http://www.itexampractice.org

Beans

Re: Free LPI exam practice site

Thank you for all the info here I am looking into going in for some of these, they will look good on the wall next to my other stuff.

Beans

Re: Free LPI exam practice site

I've got my LPI 101, 102 and 201s - messed up 202 big time!! anyway am looking to do 199 before having another crack at 202 the problem is just finding any info on the ubuntu exam. Example questions won't be available till aug 09 - all I've got to work off are the exam objectives which are vague.

e.g.
    what do they mean by 'Drive Manager'?
    how well do you need to know udev - write rules et al?
    displayconfig-gtk though still installed has been replaced by 'screen resolution'

the big problem is how 'low level' one needs to go into these topics and what about the ones not mentioned
    eg.
    pcmcia config
    apm

Have been doing IT off and on for 30+ years, have certifications with LIP, IBM and Novell but am really at a loss as to what I need to know for this one.

And indications would be appreciated.

Beans

The 1 of may there will be new Curriculum & Exam Objectives.

http://www.ubuntu.com/training/certi...urses/ucp/exam

Is it possible to still use the

Ubuntu Certified Professional Study Guide (Exam LPI 199)
    McGraw-Hill | 2008 | 547 blz. | Michael Jang
    ?

Or can I better wait for a new book?

Thanks a lot,

Smika

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Thanks for posting this up. I was wondering about possible Linux based Certifications and this has pointed me in the right direction. Good luck on your UCP!

Beans

Here is one web site launched last year that is community-built and features (free as in freedom/beer) LPI training/mock exams: http://www.itexampractice.org/

The idea behind it is that anyone can contribute to the exams by submitting new questions. The better questions are then approved via a voting process...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast