Thread: Acer Travelmate 2480 Wireless Switch

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Unhappy Acer Travelmate 2480 Wireless Switch

Hey There,

I'm using Ubuntu 8.04 on a Acer Travelmate 2480, and wondering if anyone has any tips for getting the Wireless switch on the front of the laptop to work.

Either that, or if they have ideas on using a terminal script to turn the wireless antenna on or off - just to save on battery consumption when not plugged in.

FYI - it's a Broadcom B43 Wireless Driver, being used with Ndiswrapper, bcmwl5.

Strangely enough, all other fn hotkeys on the laptop work, it's just the front panel hardware switches that are an issue.

Thanks,
    dvsJem

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Cool Re: Acer Travelmate 2480 Wireless Switch

Same problem with Dell Inspiron 9400 and many other laptops..
    A way to do this is to turn the switch on using an Ubuntu Live CD, and then later disabling the Fn+F2 switch from BIOS. I hope this works, if anyone else knows a way to do this please post.

thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Acer Travelmate 2480 Wireless Switch

Well fn f2 does work in Ubuntu to get my wireless on my Acer Aspire 4520G up and running again after I turned it off in Windows. I don't have to do this in the BIOS. Great suggestion! The wireless button does not work, but at least the function button still does under Ubuntu!
    Last edited by Stoneface; September 23rd, 2008 at 06:51 AM. Reason: addition

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Acer Travelmate 2480 Wireless Switch

I also have a Travelmate 2480. I can confirm that on mine the wireless hardware switch does indeed work in enabling/disabling the radio. This is indicated in the network manager applet. What doesn't seem to work properly however is the status light. It is not reliable, so just ignore it.
    Last edited by Prium; June 12th, 2009 at 03:28 PM.