View Poll Results: What graphics maker do you prefer?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • ATI

6 20.69%
  • Nvidia

17 58.62%
  • Intel

6 20.69%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [SOLVED] ATI Vs. NVIDIA Vs. Intel Graphics

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Lightbulb [SOLVED] ATI Vs. NVIDIA Vs. Intel Graphics

What is your thoughts on the three above brands. What brand would you choose and why. Also what struggles have you had configuring ATI, Nvidia or Intel video cards.

And can you give me a recommendation on what I should look buy?

What I do:

This will be a laptop
    Multimedia (Pictures and Video, play DVDs)
    No gaming
    I use the terminal more than the GUI

can't think of anything else at the moment. if you all need more info let me know!!

Thanks,
    Nx
    Last edited by Nxion; July 30th, 2008 at 11:22 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: ATI Vs. NVIDIA Vs. Intel Graphics

Nvidia... I have an ATI and it doesn't work the best. I don't really know about Intel video cards but my wife has and Nvidia and it works great without any messing around. I'm sure others will agree Nvidia is the way to go.
    Registered Linux User # 451883 - Registered Ubuntu User # 16711

Beans

nVidia, definitely their drivers are much better, nVidia will give you flawless effects and good 3D graphics.

I run an ATI card aswell in another system I have issues on that system with 3D and some effects in compiz.

Beans

For the uses you specified I would go for an Intel chip. Stability wise, it will trump both ATI and nvidia. It will probably be cheaper too.

Beans

Nvidia has always been good when it comes to Linux support. ATI has been making great strides in recent years. Intel cards are usually always supported (but they suck if you're looking to run compiz). All in all, it really depends on which card you get. I've had an ATI card run flawless with little configuration while I have had Nvidia cards that are not so flawless, and vice versa. Just do a little research before you decide.
    Last edited by rossjman1; July 31st, 2008 at 12:07 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

i vote intel. Yes integrated cards dont have the same power but intel is definately the best when it comes to drivers. Most linux users are heavy gamers anyways so its okay to have less power then a discrete card.

Can anyone say price?

Nvidia fans: read this article http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...73_14_12&num=1
    Desktop: Q6600 OC: 343 x 9, 4 GB RAM, 8600 GTS Twinview (22",17"), 1.5 TB RAID 5
    Laptop: Lenovo T61 T7300 @ 2 GHz, 2GB RAM, Nvidia 140M Quadro, 160 GB harddrive
    Remember to mark posts as [SOLVED] when your problem is resolved

Beans

If you need graphics power I think AMD/Ati is the way to go. nvidia is slacking, fglrx will (IMO) give you better video playback, and the fglrx driver improves every month, sometimes very significantly.

Intel works great, but will be underpowered if you do gaming and heavy 3-D.

nVidia works decent, but I think their video playback isn't the greatest, and the driver doesn't seem to improve much over time. Plus with ATI, you might have an option of open source driver that even does 3-D. No such luck with nvidia.

So basically, don't use the gpu so much, go Intel, do need it, try ATI.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sloggerkhan View Post
    If you need graphics power I think AMD/Ati is the way to go. nvidia is slacking, fglrx will (IMO) give you better video playback, and the fglrx driver improves every month, sometimes very significantly.

Intel works great, but will be underpowered if you do gaming and heavy 3-D.

nVidia works decent, but I think their video playback isn't the greatest, and the driver doesn't seem to improve much over time. Plus with ATI, you might have an option of open source driver that even does 3-D. No such luck with nvidia.

So basically, don't use the gpu so much, go Intel, do need it, try ATI.

Definitely. Right now, if you want a "gaming" card that works out of the box (literally) and can run most open source games and Compiz (and don't mind using an older card) ATI is the best choice. Now, once Gallium comes out ATI will be the only real choice if you want a powerful 3D experience out-of-the-box... that is until Larrabee pops up (and if Intel keeps their drivers open).

Beans

ATI drivers dont even run 3D graphics properly....

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Nvidia works for me on two computers. I don't know much about ATI and I have never liked Intel chipsets (graphics or otherwise). I love Intel processors but every confuser I have ever run with an Intel chipset was flaky.

Right now I am running two computers with Nvidia graphics. One is an old GeForce 4 128MB running two monitors. The other is a GeForce FX 5200. The 5200 is 3D and really looks good. The older GeForce 4 has just been a reliable workhorse for 5 years now.

I am about to make a post on how I got the cards to do what I wanted.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast