Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: how to allow wordpress to send email from server

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: how to allow wordpress to send email from server

i'm running this inside our LAN. can i configure it to use an external SMTP server? i found a wordpress plugin and not sure if it works, but wanted to know how to do this from server. do we need a domain name for this? and point the MX records to this development server? i'm a little confused...thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Yes you can but it's not necessary and won't look professional not coming from your domain, it will appear to come from the smtp domain. OK if you don't mind but honestly, getting postfix to work should be a 10 minute thing.

-Tim
    www.pcchopshop.net

Hard to find and obsolete PC and server parts. "If we can't find it, it probably doesn't exist"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

the plugin works and it sends the email from the default wordpress installation. using postfix do i need to point the MX records from our domain to the development box in order for this to work? thanks...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Nope, not if you're only sending mail.

-Tim
    www.pcchopshop.net

Hard to find and obsolete PC and server parts. "If we can't find it, it probably doesn't exist"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

thanks win, but i seem kind of lost. i configured postfix and still no luck. i know google is my 'FRIEND' but can't seem to figure this out. i will keep trying with your friend google. thanks

Beans

Dragging an old thread back up, I know, but I've got the same question so thought it was better than starting another.

I've got Wordpress installed on my Ubuntu web server and want it to be able to send emails for comments and the like. At the moment, it can't.

I get the usual error:
    Possible reason: your host may have disabled the mail() function
    I use msmtp to send emails for a crontjob that I have set up - can I use this and tell WP to use it, or should I dump msmtp completely and use something else?

Cheers.

Beans

I am also trying to allow PHPMail through my server. My php mailer script has the host and port settings configured, but for some reason I can't get mail out from my server. I just installed postfix, but I'm not really sure where to go from there.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12