View Poll Results: Does linux work completely on your laptop?

Voters
1890. You may not vote on this poll
  • Linux works completely with my laptop-I will post my hardware specifics

1,079 57.09%
  • Linux works partially with my laptop-I will post the specific problem(s)

460 24.34%
  • Linux works partially and I don't know why somethings don't work

281 14.87%
  • I tried to install linux to my laptop but was unsuccessful

45 2.38%
  • I'm interested in using linux on a laptop but haven't found the right laptop or HOWTO

72 3.81%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 96 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Fully functioning linux laptop?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Thumbs down Fully functioning linux laptop?

I'm not going to put this out perfectly-but I'm curious about several somewhat complex laptop issues. I also think this might be useful to the community here because the question of what laptop to use with linux keeps coming up on the forums.

From being here and reading many laptop threads it appears that the consensus is that intel equipped laptops are the most trouble free and easily configured. By intel equipped I mean intel cpu, gpu, & wireless card. There are of course reports of problems with intel based laptops but generally they are easier to get fully functioning*. Fully functioning here means all of the features the laptop supports work.

To attempt to learn more I'm creating a poll. Basically linux, not necessarily Ubuntu & variants, has worked for you on a laptop and also honestly all the features of the laptop work or they don't. I know that there is a laptop testing page for Ubuntu but there is not enough specific info at that wiki IMO.

Once people, hopefully, vote on the poll I think it would be very useful if they also post comments with specific hardware that was a problem or worked well. Commenting about biases is fine too.

I have an older Apple Powerbook that I'm using right now-it just works. I also have a lot of open source on it and even ran linux on it through Apple's X11. My expectation was to get linux working on a laptop as well as my Powerbook works-trying to do just that with a HP Pavilion dv6707us it never happened.
    Good site to search for guides & how-tos.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Fully functioning linux laptop?

I voted "Linux works completely with my laptop-I will post my hardware specifics" b/c, AFAIK, the only thing that's not working is the MS card reader, but there's no kernel support for them yet, so everything is ok.
    /**HP Pavilion DV6646us laptop: AMD 1.9 GHz Turion 64 X2 / 2Gb RAM / 160Gb HDD / NVIDIA GeForce Go 7150M / 15.4" WXGA / BroadCom BCM4328 wireless / Built-in webcam **/
    -- Kubuntu 9.04, CentOs 5.2, Mikrotik RouterOS 3.3 User -- Argentina LoCo Team

Beans

Dell Latitude 630 (Model PP18L - A06 BIOS)

Only issue I've found is WEP via network-manager, but WiFi hardware is fine (can do Open or WPA APs no problem).

Attached my dmesg, package and source lists...
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

-- linux works partially, posting specific problems --

ATI Mobility Radeon X1400 graphics card doesn't really work. It works if you completely turn off desktop effects, but otherwise you get flickering graphics in OpenGL applications I think.

Sound was extremely difficult to get working correctly, and I still have problems with it. Can't play sound in games and in Songbird simultaneously. Something about my particular motherboard that doesn't work too well with ALSA.

But despite this, I managed to get Linux working on a laptop without any prior experience or excessive computer skills, and I enjoy it much more than I did Windows. Performance is way up as well.. everything loads and closes much quicker. However, battery time took quite a drop (but I think it's just because I haven't installed any power-saving options or applications - any ideas?).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Gateway MT3814

Problems that had to be resolved, but are fine now:

Wireless card is RTL8185, needs Ndiswrapper to work.
    Brightness keys didn't work until I patched DSDT by replacing "Windows 2006" with "Linux"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

I have the Toshiba A205-S5859. Everything works.
    Windows, only good for gaming.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

My previous laptop, which I've since given away worked perfectly with Ubuntu out-of-the-box. It was a Dell Inspiron 500m. The only thing I'll say is that when I bought it, it didn't have a wireless card inside. So I made sure to buy a Linux-compatible wireless card when I got one (Intel Pro Wireless 2200, thanks to recommendations from these forums).

I know run an Eee PC. Don't know if it counts as a laptop. It ran perfectly with Xandros as preconfigured by Asus. I installed eeeXubuntu on it, which included some Eee-specific tweaks, and it works almost perfectly, except that the boot time is now extremely slow, and resume from suspend doesn't work all the time any more.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I have a Lenovo Thinkpad T60 with Hardy running strong on it. I have not configured the fingerprint scanner or the function hotkeys and don't use the IR port so I'm not sure if it works or not. Other than that, the system is fantastic!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

hi this is my first computer and everything works great! All the troubles I had setting up were due to my ignorance and nothing with the computer or operating system. It's a Pavillion DV6700. Very handsome machine too.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

problem free so far. Lenovo T61.
    Desktop: Q6600 OC: 343 x 9, 4 GB RAM, 8600 GTS Twinview (22",17"), 1.5 TB RAID 5
    Laptop: Lenovo T61 T7300 @ 2 GHz, 2GB RAM, Nvidia 140M Quadro, 160 GB harddrive
    Remember to mark posts as [SOLVED] when your problem is resolved

Page 1 of 96 1231151 ... LastLast