Thread: PC Shuts down randomly..HELP

Hybrid View

Beans

PC Shuts down randomly..HELP

Hey guys. I seem to have a little problem here with my laptop. I've run Ubuntu on it for allmost a year now, and I havent encountered any major problems. But two days ago my pc just powered down. No BSoD or anything, just everything went black. This actually blew the fuse on my 5.1 speaker system too.

I wondered if it could lightning stroke or anything, but it doesnt seem like it. Anyway, after that happened my PC shuts down all the time. I've tried to troubleshoot some apps with not starting them. As far as i know its not the programs i use most which this; amarok, firefox, vlc, and azureus. I have really no clue, and it very frustating since there is no BlueScreen either. Anyone got a clue what it can be. The only pattern I see everytime it happens is that it happens when I use my computer. You know, if I watch a movie on it, or play music or just download without touching the computer - it never turns off. But when I'm writing or playing a game(not very often) this happens. If you need any more info, just ask. I really need your help, guys!

EDIT: Oh, and I recently have used an external 5.1 soundcard (Creative SB Live! 5.1) and then i changed the mixer for everything sound-related from "Default" (Which I think is PulseAudio) to ALSA mixer to make the soundcard work. It did the first days, but its a bit strange that my PC started to act this strangely and turn itself off just a few days after I did this.. Is it possible that the mixer could do that?

Thanks in advance
    -Promille
    Last edited by Promille; July 30th, 2008 at 02:04 PM.

Beans

Re: PC Shuts down randomly..HELP

I had a computer that did the same thing. Is this a laptop? When it happened to me, it turned out to be a bad motherboard. Sorry to say this, but you might have to check out your warranty, and see if it can be returned. You could also try booting off a LiveCD to be sure that it is not a software issue.

P.S. I don't think this was caused by Linux, when it happened to me, I was on Windows.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by unoodles View Post
    I had a computer that did the same thing. Is this a laptop? When it happened to me, it turned out to be a bad motherboard. Sorry to say this, but you might have to check out your warranty, and see if it can be returned. You could also try booting off a LiveCD to be sure that it is not a software issue.

P.S. I don't think this was caused by Linux, when it happened to me, I was on Windows.
    Ok, I was kinda hoping it wasnt, but i know its not much I can do about it if the motherboard starts **** up... Lets hope it isnt then. Anyway, yeah its a laptop.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

First turn out the visual effect in appearance and try to play a game , if it still shut down them you can start thinking that your laptop is messed up .

I know they were some issue on HP and Toshiba laptop but let's hope it's not your case.
    Don't use the command Rm -rf if you don't fully know what you are doing it can seriously damage ur system

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by nbayiha View Post
    First turn out the visual effect in appearance and try to play a game , if it still shut down them you can start thinking that your laptop is messed up .

I know they were some issue on HP and Toshiba laptop but let's hope it's not your case.
    Thanks for the answer. I did so now, but unfortunately I doubt this is the problem. Because I allmost never play a game, and i had this option on a long time(a year) without anything the pc screwing up. But every possibly solutions is greatly appriciated

Beans

No one ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Maybe you can try by turning the visual effect to none , and try to play a game, if it turns down again ,report it.
    Don't use the command Rm -rf if you don't fully know what you are doing it can seriously damage ur system