Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [SOLVED] No info in Xorg.conf file

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

[SOLVED] No info in Xorg.conf file

My configuration file 'xorg.conf' located in /etc/X11 doesn't seem correct. There are no settings for the monitor, screen resolution, refresh rates etc.

Is my xorg.conf file correct? I suspect my system is defaulting to some other configuration file. I would like to be able to edit my screen settings. But I can't do it with my xorg.conf in its current state.

I'm using Ubuntu 8.04 and I've installed all recent updates. My video card is an old Voodoo 3 3000 and I've installed libglide3 using the synaptic package manager.

Regards

The entire xorg.conf file:

# xorg.conf (X.Org X Window System server configuration file)
    #
    # This file was generated by dexconf, the Debian X Configuration tool, using
    # values from the debconf database.
    #
    # Edit this file with caution, and see the xorg.conf manual page.
    # (Type "man xorg.conf" at the shell prompt.)
    #
    # This file is automatically updated on xserver-xorg package upgrades *only*
    # if it has not been modified since the last upgrade of the xserver-xorg
    # package.
    #
    # If you have edited this file but would like it to be automatically updated
    # again, run the following command:
    # sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier "Generic Keyboard"
    Driver "kbd"
    Option "XkbRules" "xorg"
    Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
    Option "XkbLayout" "us"
    EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier "Configured Mouse"
    Driver "mouse"
    Option "CorePointer"
    EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier "Configured Video Device"
    EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier "Configured Monitor"
    EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier "Default Screen"
    Monitor "Configured Monitor"
    Device "Configured Video Device"
    EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier "Default Layout"
    Screen "Default Screen"
    EndSection

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: No info in Xorg.conf file

xorg.conf is being deprecated. The people at x are trying to get completely away from needing an xorg.conf as their automatic detection/configuration improves. It will completely dissapear soon so get used to not having one.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by markbuntu View Post
    xorg.conf is being deprecated. The people at x are trying to get completely away from needing an xorg.conf as their automatic detection/configuration improves. It will completely dissapear soon so get used to not having one.
    yeah, it fricken sucks. for us that it can't get right were screwed.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

So how would one go about to change the default color depth and resolution and so forth?
    I needed to do this to stop my old laptop from flickering insanely whenever I moved a window. Fourtunately it reads changes in xorg.conf but it would be nice to know how to change those values in the future.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by makkan77 View Post
    So how would one go about to change the default color depth and resolution and so forth?
    I needed to do this to stop my old laptop from flickering insanely whenever I moved a window. Fourtunately it reads changes in xorg.conf but it would be nice to know how to change those values in the future.
    i don't think it's worked out yet.
    for now i'm just going to stick with etch, at least in etch all i have to do is> dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg < then log out and press ctrl+alt+backspace to restart X, that's it done i get exactly what i want.

Beans
    Hidden!

I find it unlikely that xorg.conf will be removed, got a source on that Kerry?

In any event, current man pages suggest that the configuration goes something like:
    auto
    global xorg.conf
    user xorg.conf

Since Hardy doesn't specify a global or user xorg.conf all you get is the auto config, which sometimes doesn't work.

You have two options to fix it. Either try to work with the gui tools that are available to set the display resolution and depth, or just add a section to your xorg.conf under /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Considering this was a transition release a working, but commented out, xorg.conf should have been included by default. As it is now, the easiest way is to find someone who posted their xorg.conf from gutsy online and then edit that to your needs.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Archnix View Post
    I find it unlikely that xorg.conf will be removed, got a source on that Kerry?

In any event, current man pages suggest that the configuration goes something like:
    auto
    global xorg.conf
    user xorg.conf

Since Hardy doesn't specify a global or user xorg.conf all you get is the auto config, which sometimes doesn't work.

You have two options to fix it. Either try to work with the gui tools that are available to set the display resolution and depth, or just add a section to your xorg.conf under /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Considering this was a transition release a working, but commented out, xorg.conf should have been included by default. As it is now, the easiest way is to find someone who posted their xorg.conf from gutsy online and then edit that to your needs.
    ooh, i never said it was going to be removed, i just said it don't work right. even when you manually edit it, it might not have a effect, for example: i took the xorg.conf from etch and tried to use that and got nada, it was just stuck at 800x600 and would not budge.

i got a feeling my stuff is just getting to old for the more modern distros, i guess i'm going to actually have to buy some really new stuff eventually. i got a $15 mother board, free case, salvaged my hd, ram, cpu from my old rig, $5 cdrw, $10 for the 19" crt(just have to get that anti-glare coating off and it will be perfect). it's perfectly good though it's 1.8 ghz, 1gig ram, 100gig hd, nv video card, the monitor and card can do 1600x1200, to be stuck at 800x600 is ridiculous.

ohh, by the way it's not just ubuntu 8, lenny did it to me to, but like i said etch is perfect.
    Last edited by kerry_s; July 30th, 2008 at 12:50 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Yeah, Lenny uses a slightly newer xorg then Hardy AFAIK, but it's still quite different from Gutsy and uhh... slightly, slightly lots newer then Etch.

There's always the possibility that its a driver issue, which you could test by temporarily enabling the testing repo... which goes for the OP as well (driver issue, not testing repo), though it's not the first thing I'd look at.

Beans

If ubuntu does not see your videocard or monitor correctly then you have to do this:

With ubuntu 8.04, dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg is not the same anymore, now you can install your keybord and more with this.
    But your videocard and monitor goes like this,
    start in safe mode,
    choose the last options with the "Try to fix X-server",
    Here ubuntu will search and identify your monitor and videocard, so you have all your posssible settings.
    Then reboot and install your videcard driver.(i use envy for this).

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Archnix View Post
    Yeah, Lenny uses a slightly newer xorg then Hardy AFAIK, but it's still quite different from Gutsy and uhh... slightly, slightly lots newer then Etch.

There's always the possibility that its a driver issue, which you could test by temporarily enabling the testing repo... which goes for the OP as well (driver issue, not testing repo), though it's not the first thing I'd look at.
    driver issue? monitors don't use drivers. the vid drivers are fine, it's just resolution detection in my case. it should just work once you put the resolution size you want, in my case 1600x1200. what were saying is even though we put the right info in xorg.conf it still don't work.

i tried a lot of things, when i did upgrade etch to lenny it did worked, but i had a unstable system, that's why i tried ubuntu 8, which gave me the same grief as a straight lenny install.

anyways, dropping back down to etch works for me for now, i'll mess with it some other day when i'm not so tired, i have my trusty laptop so i'm good to go, right now i'm just cleaning the anti-glare film off that 19" monitor with some easy-off oven cleaner, i haven't even really messed with it once i got it installed and working under etch.

take care.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast