Thread: M-Audio Revolution 5.1 on Ubuntu 8.04 64-bit?

Beans

M-Audio Revolution 5.1 on Ubuntu 8.04 64-bit?

Hello, I am on a quest to find a high-quality sound card that will be compatible with 64-bit Ubuntu 8.04. Haven't had much luck getting my X-Fi to work, and I'm willing to ditch Creative all together.

I noticed this thread and the M-Audio card caught my eye. I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with it in the 64-bit environment?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: M-Audio Revolution 5.1 on Ubuntu 8.04 64-bit?

The M-Audio revolution should work fine with 8.04 though I think there are better cards available in that price range ($80-$100),the HTOmega Striker is a pretty nice card that works with Ubuntu some of the bluegears cards look nice as well.

Beans

Thank you for the reply, and I am all for suggestions! I'll check out the ones you recommended.

Beans

I'm running Ubuntu 8.04 amd64 with the M-Audio Revo 5.1. It's a great card for analog output when used with OSS4 (disable vmix for the best sound quality).

If you're interested in the bluegears card, get it while you can. C-Media cut a deal with Asus, so it now has exclusive rights to CMI-8788 chipsets: http://www.techreport.com/discussions.x/15206
    Who knows how many chips bgears has in their inventory...

Beans

Thanks for the info. I will be running analog, just with a single out to my 2.1 setup.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I think it is important to take into consideration what your 2.1 speaker setup is before you consider upgrading to a higher end soundcard.The speakers are the most important aspect of your sound system ,if you don't have good quality speakers you are pretty much wasting your money on high end soundcard.